Clone mics for dirt cheap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

OK, so i bumped into this company GLS who is making psudo knock offs of 57's and 58's (actually from what im reading they're closer to the beta 57/58 since they're using neo mags)  Reviews I've seen said they're a bit "louder" and brighter than 57's (the loudness may be perceived if its brighter)  anyone ever use one of these (i trust the opinions on this form more than any other)

10 mics for $250 made me chuckle a bit

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=genem&Category_Code=microphones

Model Number: ES-57
Uni-Directional Dynamic Microphone
Designed for Musical Instruments & Drums
Sensitivity: -72dB at 1,000 Hz (Open Circuit Voltage)
Frequency Range: 40 Hz - 15,000 Hz
Lo-Z XLR 3 Pin Balanced
Impedance: 300 ohms at 1,000 Hz
Size: 6 3/8" long x 1 3/8" Head x 7/8" End

SM57 Specs
Type: Dynamic
Frequency Response: 40 to 15,000 Hz
Polar Pattern: Cardioid
Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz Open Circuit Voltage): Open Circuit Voltage: -56.0 dBV/Pa* (1.6 mV) *(1 Pa = 94 dB SPL)
Impedance: Rated impedance is 150Ω (310Ω actual) for connection to microphone inputs rated low impedance.
Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3.
Connector: Three-pin professional audio connector (male XLR type)
Net Weight: 284 grams (10 oz)
Dimensions: 157 mm (6-3/16 in.) L x 32 mm (1-1/4 in.) W at the widest point

Cant seem to find a freq response chart on the ES...  I may get one just to see what its about... every mic has a purpose... it could be a hammer or door stop, but they all have a purpose... lol (love that sig line)

I'd be willing to bet that they're the exact same thing as the counterfeit 57's that you find on ebay.  If so, I'd avoid em at all costs as the one that I heard was overly bright
and pretty nasty

cheers

pucho812 said:
I dunno buy at least one or 2, you can never have enough mics and more over knowing that it is overly bright is just another tool in the shed.

That only encourages them to keep making the crap.

-a

Seen some of those (or very similar) in live situation. Distortion is ugly, breakup happening earlier and they are very prone to feedback. Life lenght is also much shorter than 58's or 57's.
Laurent.

Back