Cloud Stock-Keeping Sheet?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple, cloud-type app that will enable the office and factory to be in sync with regards to raw component and finished product stock status?

This could be easily achieved with an Excel doc, but how would you run it in a cloud-type way, where it updates if either office or factory make a change? I know M$ have a cloud version of Office, but there's a monthly fee. Surely there's a cheaper option? I've looked at Google docs, but the right template isn't immediately obvious, plus I use Google for my email and I'd prefer this to come from a separate account.

What do you use?

Thanks in advance.

at work we use google drive.  In the past it was google docs. I know you already mentioned not wanting google docs. Drive works wella s you can keep whatever format  you use, just give access to whoever needs it

Drive looks absolutely perfect. However, because I use Google for my business email, is there a way to use it without it being linked to my main Google Business account? I'm a little nervous about giving the factory guys my email password. Not that I don't trust them - far from it. It's just that it makes me a little uncomfortable. Thanks

With google drive,
You can program in various levels of security access  so no passwords are needed.

Yesterday I sent a 25mb pdf of a complete console manual via google drive and the tech who received it was able to download the file without passwords needed or anything. Just set that file to be viewable/downloadable if they had the link....

No one needs your password to access a shared google drive doc.  Just share it with them and they access it on their own. 

In drive you could also assign the doc to be available for some specific google account as read only or read and write so not anybody who get the link could  open or edit your documents.

JS

Thanks, guys. I sent him a link for Drive last night, with his email set as the sharer, no one else. However,  he's claiming he can't read it... Does it need to be sent to another Gmail account? I'm thinking this could be the issue here.

I can't help much with the menu itself because I have it in spanish... If someone else could guide you fine, if not I change the language, but last time I did it I have some minor problems in the mailbox to return it to it's original state.

JS

thermionic said:
Thanks, guys. I sent him a link for Drive last night, with his email set as the sharer, no one else. However,  he's claiming he can't read it... Does it need to be sent to another Gmail account? I'm thinking this could be the issue here.

Need to change the parameters of the file. Right click on it and to go share. Then click the who has access and change it from private to  any other choice. I usually do anyone with this link and send the link in an e-mail

He will need a gmail account to log in and access his drive and the sheet/doc apps....

But you can both edit as needed and it keeps a revision history, document chat, a bunch of cool and useful collaborative features. I started using google docs in about 2007 for all of my "office needs" and never looked back. I can get to it from anywhere with any computer and with the spreadsheet functionality you have access to a number of highly functional "google tools" so you really can do a lot. If you're comparing side by side with m$ there are differences and limitations.

Cheers,
jb

Back