Coil Audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Enjoying the audio samples they have put up on YT.  Being a total noob when it comes to tubes, I can only parrot the maker's selling points about it being inspired by old Western Electric topologies, octals and such.

9dbrMzp.png

Anyone who likes to talk tubes care to share thoughts on this type of '30's-40's' design?

Thanks
-Boji

Edit: One other thing, are these tube types scarce? They appear to offer the diy enthusiast transformers? How cool is that!
https://www.coilaudio.com/Assets/PDF/CT_Transformer_Spec_Sheet.pdf

They are both modified clones of specific Gates console modules, built with NOS caps and carbon resistors. 

EmRR said:
They are both modified clones of specific Gates console modules, built with NOS caps and carbon resistors.

And also they didn’t try to clone the SA’s transformers. Instead, they based them off of off-the-shelf units from the 50s/60s  and modified those designs for the sound they were going for.

But cool stuff. I like what they’re doing.

I like the NF control tailoring the frequency of the feedback.    I've only done this in guitar amps and heard the the brightness of removing the feedback from the power amp section.  I know heavy metal amps use the cap in the feed back so as to shape the sound signature of the amp.  It would be interesting to play with.  Not sure how expensive there transformers are. 

I've been thinking of building a UA610, like the schematics provided by winston O and Muffy1975 in the preamp section. 

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=72736.0

Not sure I could play with the feedback without a tertiary winding which is not used on a 610 but like to play with it.  I have a few O-016 input trans looking for a use.

fazer said:
I've been thinking of building a UA610, like the schematics provided by winston O and Muffy1975 in the preamp section...
...Not sure I could play with the feedback without a tertiary winding which is not used on a 610 but like to play with it. 

Yes you could play with the feedback.  That's what I did for the "gain" control on the "reissue" UA 2-610 dealie and it's brethren.

boji said:
They appear to offer the diy enthusiast transformers? How cool is that!
https://www.coilaudio.com/Assets/PDF/CT_Transformer_Spec_Sheet.pdf

That’s a relatively new development.

There’s a thread from a year or two ago about their transformers. I initially tried to buy some, but was told that they were only intended for Coil customers. But after some correspondence with Steve from Coil, he agreed to sell me some without the Coil Audio cans. I bought a CN-41 and a CN-41hn (which they don’t appear to have any more). The hn model was a CN-41 with “hi nickel” lams (probably 80%).

Both transformers sounded really nice and tested well. I was prepared to buy some more in quantity at a discount that Steve offered once they had a new batch in, but communication got spotty between us and it fell off the radar. I really like the 41s and wouldn’t hesitate to use them in projects, but they are a little steeper price-wise than I’d like.  I don’t know if the DIY units they sell are still the same price or not.

But it’s a little different flavor than the Cinemag CM-2840s I usually use for non-vintage clones. Always nice to have another option out there.

Back