Collins 356B - mistake in schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athnony

GDIY Supporter
So I'm wondering if I found a mistake in the schematic, or if I'm just too much of a novice to understand why C301B is shown with the positive connected to the B- rail 😵‍💫

I recapped two 356Bs according to the schem and had this cap blow on me in both units. I could've sworn the original can-style multicap had that terminal connected to R304+305, so wouldn't that mean the positive should be facing opposite (negative connected to B-) of what's shown in the schematic?? Or maybe there's some old school voodoo I don't know about?

Attachments

• Collins 356B-1 Schematic.jpg
    Collins 356B-1 Schematic.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 3
C301b is drawn with the wrong polarity. It forms with R313 the last PSU ripple filter for V301 and must be installed definitely this way, otherwise boom!

20221112_080618.jpg

What this funny D lying on the back means I do not know. Maybe member EMRR Doug can tell us....

Looks like they use the same symbol for all types of capacitor, even the 0.0047uF interstage coupling caps which are obviously unpolarised. I agree it is a drawing error. They really should have used an unambiguous symbol for a polarised capacitor.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you! I thought I was losing it for a minute.

..isn't it the small triangle mark that designates both the type and the plus-side?

I think it's just the symbol on the multi-can - you can kind of make out the triangle in the bottom of this photo I took before recapping.

From the looks of it, beatnik is right about 301D as well 🙃

Attachments

• 20220831_110009.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 1
Happy to report this little space heater seems to be working great + sounds incredible!

I noticed another error... C302 should be 4uF, not 40.

Here's a corrected schematic + original manual for reference in case anyone needs it in the future!

Attachments

• Collins 356B Manual (errors in schematic).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Collins 356B-1 Schematic CORRECTED 221112.jpeg
    Collins 356B-1 Schematic CORRECTED 221112.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back