Common/Useful Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I think I figured out part of the weird selection strategy for this kit. It contains none of the resistors used in Melcor 1731 or GainBloke discrete op amps :mad:

Bastards.

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]OK, I think I figured out part of the weird selection strategy for this kit. It contains none of the resistors used in Melcor 1731 or GainBloke discrete op amps :mad:

Bastards.[/quote]

HAH! Sort of like the feared selection effect for cases where the vendor needs some tighter tolerances, so they pick all the center-of-distribution parts out and sell the rest---still within tolerance but with a pronounced bimodal distribution.

This is usually not that big a problem because it's fairly easy to make precise resistors, and the demand for better-than-1% tolerance is not that high.

Mouser has a bunch of "party packs" of components in the last pages of their catalog.

For some reason, their 1% metal film kits are 1/8W, 1/4W, and 1/2W depending on the resistor range. With that in mind, a full kit of 216 values, 10 parts per value, comes to approx. $285.00.

That's still 13 cents apiece....

Bri

for those of you in the UK or Mainland Europe, you may want to take a look at:

http://www.fastcomponents.co.uk

they even have some SMD stuff if that takes your fancy :green:

Found a guy on EvilBay selling 1/4w 1% metal film kits 100ea of 100 values for $64 including shipping. Couldn't resist (no pun intended). Will advise if there are any problems once it arrives...

Analog Packrat

Got my big box of resistors in the mail today. Everything looks fine and the sample measurements I've made indicate nothing out of the ordinary. There is a mix of 5-6 different manufacturers in the assortment--no big deal to me. So I can recommend this guy if anyone is looking to make a lifetime buy or resistors. He also has 1/2W and 1W stuff. I'm not affiliated with him other than being a :grin: customer.

On EvilBay he is echo242372 and his eStore is at http://www.opamp-electronics.com/.

Back