Common/Useful Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meblumen

I know it's well into summer but I'm going to be doing some spring cleaning, finishing up some projects, over-hauling alot of my equipment which I have neglected etc... Anyway, generally for specific projects I source parts and order what I need as I go but lately I have had a few little things come up (either with my own stuff or friends) where I have needed a stupid little something here or there which naturally I didn't have. Hence I was wondering, what are some good common parts, components you always keep on hand, specific caps, resistors, pots, switches, leds etc... I'm going to build a little workshop area and stock it with some of these components so just trying to get an idea of what you all keep on hand. Thanks.

Hi,

Yea, getting some order in the wrokshop is vital- it's all to easy to let things go a bit mad when you've got a few projects on the go!

As far as stock is concerned, it depends what work you intend to do. If you mostly build "The Clones", and work from ready-designed projects, then it is best to order the parts you need for a particular project, but buy the parts in multiples. For example, if you need 3 22pF capacitors, buy 10. It's often actually cheaper to buy more because of price breaks. This way, you always have a spare on hand, and if you suddenly decide you want to build another one it's much easier.

After a few DIY's you will end up with a nice stock of the most common/useful components.

If you design from scratch, modify current designs or do repairs it's a bit more difficult. You don't always know exactly what you need until it's 2am and you need a certain value capacitor...

I've found the best way to cope here is to buy the component kits available from many suppliers. These are kits of 1000 or so Metal Film 1% resistors with x10 of each value, or 200 electrolytic capacitors. Remember that resistors come in "preferred values". The two most common ranges are the E12 and E24. The range of values is standard in all the "decades". The E24 range is probably the best to go for as it has many of the more useful values for audio work. As a start though, a bag of the E12 series will be helpful.

Have a look in a component suppliers catalogue and see what is available. They often have packs of polyester and ceramic capacitors, and these are handy to have. Just make sure that the voltage ratings of the capacitors are useful to you- some unscrupulous suppliers try to get rid of their less-useful values- e.g. low-voltage electrolytics.

The surplus market can be good for components too. Depending on where you live you may be able to find a mail order place where they get surplus and bankrupt stock. You can often buy a large bag of assorted electrolytic caps for very little outlay. It's then just an evening spent in front of the telly with as many helpers as you can muster ( :grin: ) to help sort them into the correct values.

Here's an example from the people I use in the UK:

Big Bag of Caps

I've got bags like this before, and the price of the bag has been recouped with 2 or 3 high quality capacitors. So have a look around. ANother tip is to invest in some sort of storage system. I like the small plastic drawers which can be removed. The removable ones are good because if you expand the range of values in your stock, it's easy to shuffle all the drawers along to add the new values. The "captive" drawers need to be re-labelled.

Organisation really does make your life easier. I went for years with just boxes of mixed parts, and could never get my hands on specific values when I needed them.

:thumb:

Mark

Agree very much with Mark. What I have ready in larger quantities:
* some 1% resistors from 10 to 1meg
* 100 nF polyester for decoupling
* 10 pF to 220 pF ceramic C0G for compensation
* 100 uF and 1000 uF 'lytic for PSU and decoupling
* Ferrite beads
* 1N914B and 1N4004 diodes
* 2N4401/2N4403/MJE171/MJE181 transistors
* 5532 and 5534 opamps

I'm building only my own designs, so you might vary this a bit!

Samue

plus:

- TL072 / TL074
- 7812 7815 / 7912 7915
- BC550 and BC560 small-signal transistors
- BD139/140 medium-power transistors
- 2N3055 power transistors (possibly also MJE2955 type)
- 1N4148 diodes
- 1A/400V rectifier bridges
- Various coloured LEDs
- Tubes, ECC82, ECC83, ECC88
- Pots 10K/100K log and lin, mono and stereo
- Rotary switches - preferably programmable steps like the Lorlin ones
- 10uF/50V electrolytics for signal and power (de)coupling
- Veroboard (strip board in u.s.)
- PCB connectors and -sockets in 2.45mm spacing (fits veroboard)
- IC sockets, 8 and 14pin
- Tube sockets, 9-pin noval
- XLR and jack connectors

You can see my "small" selection of parts here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Parts.jpg

But no matter how many parts I have, there always seems to be something missing for whatever project I work on... :wink:

But I agree with the others. Buy some bags of mixed caps. If you can see them before you buy them, that may be a bonus. Some companies will sell you a bag with 2-300 useless caps of 2-3 different values... Other times you can get a great selection of good parts.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

For the past few months I have concentrated on building the biggest Wima collection in the universe.
Wherever I see people selling them for a pittance - I buy them (preferably the "old" green FK series)..
Same goes with higher grade Elnas (Silmics from Taiwan for steal was my last one)
ALthought very new to this - I made a few "mistakes" early on.. where I just bought caps that I found in catalogues.. I had no idea what I was looking for..
I didn't realise the effect of putting caps I bought for tuppence into the circuits I was making... (why build your own - if you are going to skip on quality)..
Same thing with carbon pots and plastic pots.
I also have more Sifam knobs and caps than I can shake a stick at
This morning I have bought a nice Sifam PPM for £10.

I am always on the look out for cheap bargains of quality gear...
Keep an eye out on clearance stocks of stuff you know you are going to use..
T03/T0220 Heatsinks
Hook up wire
Molex connectors

It's remarkably that no audio-TXs have been mentioned so far :thumb:
At least I figure Rafafred will have some arguments to justify his pile of 500 audio-transformers. :wink:

But serious, it could be good to have some power-TXs around, like with two secondaries of 15...18Vac each.

Two years ago I was tired by the fact that every time I had something new to build I had to buy resistors because I never had all the needed values. It was frustrating because it would stop you if you want to build quickly something on a breadboard.
So I decided that I will start to buy all the resistor values from 10 ohm to 10 megaohm, 1% metal film.
Each time I had some spare money I bought tons of resistors.
First time all the values from 10ohm to 100ohm, 200 of each value. Next time 100ohm to 1kohm, 200 of each value, and so on, and so on, up to 10 megaohm.

This mega aquisition took half a year, but it was a good idea because it was easyer to pay each month an acceptable amount of money for a set of resistor values, than buying all the values in large quantity at once.
For more than a year and a half I don't buy resistors anymore, I have everything I need. Although if one value is used more often I compensate and buy more of that value.

If I could do this with capacitors that would be great.

chrissugar

I only got as far as doing this with 5% 1/8W carbon films, but it was well worth the trouble.

For a while a local place (now gone broke alas) had putups of 1% 1/4W parts in lots of five. I would buy some extras every time I needed a specific value. And here and there projects would be discontinued and the parts scrapped at my employers' or clients' places, so sometimes I would get big bags of certain values.

Now I need a comparable stash of SMD. Garre*t supplies kits but they are thousands of dollars.

At least I figure Rafafred will have some arguments to justify his pile of 500 audio-transformers.

Still searching for one... :oops:
Now, you didn´t saw my pile of more than 2000 tubes... did you?

Is anybody familiar with the Ohmite Resistor Cabinets? They sell sets of resistors that come presorted in cabinets.

They have a whole range of kits, but one example: Mouser 588-CAB32CM, which includes 1000 Metal Film 1/4W resistors from 10-1M, with 120 different values, for $347.00.

Does this type of thing seem like a good deal for this? They seem a little expensive, but what do I know. Also, would 1/4W be the best bet, should it cover most of the basis for audio?

Thanks - Andrew

http://www.mouser.com/ohmite/
Look Under 'Ohmite Kits'

I've been waffling about the very same thing. Seems pricey on the face of it ($0.35 per resistor), but you get three cabinets and all the sorting and drawer labelling is done for you. I guess it comes down to how much it's worth to you to have it all organized already. For reference, if you buy 25 of a particular value of Dale 1/4 metal film, they go for a few cents each.

Analog Packrat

p.s. A college buddy of mine, David Bland, is stationed at Al Asad. He's in the "mayor cell" (an army unit) at the base. Know him?

David Bland? What's his rank? I don't think I know him. I work for KBR as a MWR Manager for several bases and I deal with the Mayor's Cell here at Al Asad only ocassionally. I have been to the Mayor's Cell a few times though, so I've probably run into him. Small world.

I knew you were going to ask me that... I think he's a Captain, but I can't be sure. I'm not even sure exactly what his duties are--just he hope he (and everyone else) makes it back home. He does ride a nice full suspension bike that his wife sent him :wink:

Take care,
Analog Packrat

Morale, Welfare and Recreation. The Army loves their acronyms, don't they?

For someone looking to put together a good basic assortment of components, the reasonably priced component kits from Jameco will give you a very good start.

www.jameco.com

There's little or no high-voltage stuff for tube circuits, however.

Jameco is a great source for little odds 'n ends. If they have what you want, it's usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Back