compact mixer recommendation?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunger

Just checking to see if there are any compact mixers with reasonable sonics. . . I know not to expect much, but I just blew up my horrific sounding mackie 1202 that I've been trying to kill for 19 years.

For me, many of my paying gigs are very simple in regards to audio. . . a podium mic, a few wireless kits, and output to record feed (video camera usually).  A flexible EQ (that actually does something when you twist the knobs) is helpful in troublesome rooms, but I don't really expect much from a compact.

Looking at Allen and Heath ZED and Soundcraft EPM series stuff.  Recommendations welcome.  Small form factor is key because it's an item I throw into the kit just in case, and many, many times, it has been deployed and saved my skin on video gigs where I end up having to do P/A as well.  Channel count is not that critical because most setups are so simple.

to be honest, I think this kind of (build quality) gear category died some time ago.... :-(

- I used to like Mackie and A&H's build quality, but not so much anymore lately..

- Michael

The little Mackies still have the best build quality.  But seriously, who the hell came up with those eq points?  They are absolutely useless!  As for small form factor, you're looking at A&H, Soundcraft and Yamaha.  As for which one, it's a matter of taste and feature set.  Many now have a usb interface for recording, if that is something you would find useful.

I never was a big fan of Mackie mixers, no doubt because i was competing against them  :p  in the value mixer category back in the day. From my POV Mackie's main contribution to the MI industry was carpet bombing advertising. That said the audio path performance for all but the very cheapest should be decent thanks to improved performance from modern low cost opamps. When you get down to the cheapest of the cheap, sometimes they have cut corners inside that can deliver variable performance, depending on the application. For example a cheapo mixer may have a channel insert feature, but could save a few pennies with how the electronics around that insert are handled (to save an opamp here or there.). The simpler EQ in the entry level products may not cover you needs as well as more expensive, better featured mixers would. I have seen differences on the bench with inserts related to loading, but I don't want to make too big of deal about things I observed 15+ years ago. As long as you are interfacing with other well designed modern gear these loading issues should not show up. 

If a major web retailer website supports customer reviews, check them out to see how the customers who bought different brands/models like them.  Generally you will get more mixer for more money, and any mature brand that has been selling mixers for decades will not make any glaring mistakes. I expect the EQs to sound different because of EQ center frequency and BW design decisions, while the rest of the path should be relatively similar and mostly transparent sounding.

JR

Thanks for the help.  I never really find any good reviews of these for comparative sonic performance side by side.  Maybe it's time to make one because these are so cheap :)

Try and find an Audio Developments or similar older field mixer, it'll probably have everything you desire, will be built to last with good eq, sonics and probably battery powered option as well.  Not to mention they'll be relatively easy to repair/maintain. 

OK. . . had an audio gig come up this week for an Ultrasound technician instructional video shoot. . . this is one of those typical types of paying gigs that I pick up from time to time.

So, I ended up purchasing the Soundcraft EMP6 because I liked the simplicity of the layout and the 6 mic preamps onboard instead of the predominantly stereo line input channels on the Allen and Heath and on the old mackie 1202 that I just killed dead.

Since this is GroupDIY and we like to void warrantees and generally "muck with" things, I managed to dig up a schematic of the EMP6 and was wondering if there might be any low-hanging fruit I can re-work to take it up a notch in terms of sonics.  Keep in mind I'm not very electronically versed but am stupid enough to buy a hot air rework station because i need to learn how to do SMD assembly and re-work anyways.

Complete PDF with schematic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bvhqkG9T7fRDloMEgtdHFOTkE/edit?usp=sharing

p696531855-6.jpg

p1037533619-6.jpg

depending on how much you want to spend, have you considered a toft ATB? they come in ranges from 4-32 channels and have the same circuit of eq used on a trident 80B. They have burr brown pre amp chips and offer lots of flexibility.

Latest posts

Back