Completely fresh to microphone building - Where to start?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandG

Hey! Hope everyone is well, sorry if my search skills are poor but there doesnt have to be a starters guide for DIY microphone building out there by chance?

Im completely fresh, dont even own a solder iron, but Im more then willing to learn everything that comes with it through trial and error, but does anyone have any starting advise?

What do I need?
What are recommended parts and where to find them?
What electronics knownledge do I need to have?
Any ways to practice without screwing up expensive parts?

As far as I understand a microphone is a good start, aka not that "complicated", but if anyone got a better idea for starters, Im all ears!

Thanks in advance! /Grand G

I'd suggest starting with a kit that comes with all the parts. You would need a soldering iron, solder and some practice before jumping into the build. You will also want to start understanding what the basic components too so you can troubleshoot the mic when things go wrong. A multimeter is a necessity. An oscilliscope would also be good but that starts getting costly. Start with a FET mic. The build is simpler and the voltages are lower.

Hey! Hope everyone is well, sorry if my search skills are poor but there doesnt have to be a starters guide for DIY microphone building out there by chance?

Im completely fresh, dont even own a solder iron, but Im more then willing to learn everything that comes with it through trial and error, but does anyone have any starting advise?

What do I need?
What are recommended parts and where to find them?
What electronics knownledge do I need to have?
Any ways to practice without screwing up expensive parts?

As far as I understand a microphone is a good start, aka not that "complicated", but if anyone got a better idea for starters, Im all ears!

Thanks in advance! /Grand G
Electronics are not that complicated to assemble, but not really easy to understand. Then you have the acoustic part which is very hard, but not necessary to understand in order to build a mic.

I would maybe start with modification of existing fet mic, and exploring the forum to get a grasp of what matters, principles...

You can build a kit, but after assembly, even if it works you won't have any idea how or why. Maybe start with some basic electronics course with focus on small signal amplifiers, fets, bjt, opamps...

This series of videos is priceless, but you need some background to understand quirky things regarding electronics.

And this guy explains electronics most intuitively out of all I've seen so far. There's a free course site that is connected to the videos.

https://m.youtube.com/@Vocademy-Electronics-Tech

Like @McIrish said, I'd start with a kit. I highly recommend Microphone-Parts.com Their build guides are very clear and thorough and will walk you through the entire build. There's also some info for absolute beginners on their website under Help. Modifying an existing cheap mic is a good place to start as well, as @kingkorg mentioned.

Since you've haven't soldered before, my main advice would be to take it slow, and use your first project to practice your soldering skills. Microphones are relatively simple electronically, but they require some level of precision when building. And get a decent soldering station.

I agree with the above. I think it might be easiest to break down the skills you're going to want to develop:

Soldering
Soldering isn't super difficult, but it does take practice to do it well. In the beginning, there are lots of details, like where you place the tip of the iron, how long to leave it there, when to apply solder, how much solder to add, what temperature to keep your iron, what kind of iron to use, etc, etc...that can be taken for granted by those of us who have been doing this for a long time. I recommend getting a half-decent iron to start with (something like this Weller is a good place to start), and practicing with some cheap kits (they don't even have to be audio kits).

Reading A Schematic
This is a super important skill. Schematics are the "maps" that help you understand what components go where. Even if you don't understand what a capacitor does, you should understand what a schematic symbol for a capacitor (both polarized and unpolarized) looks like. This is a good place to start.

Machining/Assembly
This is a skill that is often skipped. If you're making things, they have to be assembled...and often they'll need some machining too (even if it's just drilling some holes or filing a part of the enclosure). It really helps to be familiar with screw sizes (i.e. 4-40 or M3), and how to use various hand tools. Charts like this are really handy.

Testing/Measurement
This is vital to fixing issues that arise or calibrating newly-built projects. A multimeter is a vital tool, and knowing how to use it to measure voltage (AC and DC), resistance, and continuity are absolute necessities. Something like this one will get you far. It also makes life a lot easier to either have an oscilloscope and signal generator, or as @Khron pointed out, a decent audio interface and some measurement software. You're going to want to be able to look at waveforms and be able to trace signals. REW is a great software suite for testing.

Electronics Theory
This is the hardest part. With the above skills, you can build just about any kit out there, but (as @kingkorg pointed out) you'll have no idea how it works and won't be able to modify it or improve it in any ways. You also won't be able to design anything new or combine circuits. There are tons of tutorials and lessons out there on the internet, but since you're here, check out the fantastic thread @CJ made: Electronics 101.

That probably seems like a lot of stuff, but it's all fun, and the more you dive in, the more you'll be able to do. Welcome aboard!

Latest posts

Back