Completely toasted Farfisa Compact 23 mains Transformer - Replacement?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FPALB

Took a house call for a studio here in LA after they called about a Farfisa compact releasing the ghost. After measuring nothing on the secondary side we popped open the mains transformer and WOW. It definitely would have started a huge fire if they didn't power the unit down when they did. This thing was toasted! Found a 20Amp fuse was put in instead of a......... .5Amp fuse.

Problem is I can't find a replacement and ive never tried to measure for a new one - finding secondary currents and such.

Does anybody have any ideas for what I could use as a replacement or help me out to measure out what the secondary currents need to be?

service manual attached.

thanks in advance. Screen Shot 2024-10-09 at 8.52.59 AM.png

Attachments

• farfisa_compact_sm.pdf
    5.6 MB
You could look for a normal Hammond transformer, with a 5V tap to put in series with the 6,3V (as to get 11V in replacement of the 9V; a resistor will drop those 2V), and use a standard 24V transformer for the 22V tap.
You could start looking up the current draw of the heaters and plates from the tubes. As long as there are no heavy power amplifiers that draw much current, you'll get away with quite a lot I think.

But have you found the fault that caused the transformer to burn out in the first place?

You could look for a normal Hammond transformer, with a 5V tap to put in series with the 6,3V (as to get 11V in replacement of the 9V; a resistor will drop those 2V), and use a standard 24V transformer for the 22V tap.
You could start looking up the current draw of the heaters and plates from the tubes. As long as there are no heavy power amplifiers that draw much current, you'll get away with quite a lot I think.

But have you found the fault that caused the transformer to burn out in the first place?
Extremely helpful! Thank you. Ill take a look at some Hammonds

I didn't, usually I find that kinda thing with the unit on a variac.

Back