Computer blow-up, again

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I had another motherboard die on me.

My computer spontaneously shut down on me. It would power back up, but with no post beeps. So, starting with the sound card, I started pulling devices one at a time, until even the CPU came out. with only the mobo and nothing plugged in, still no post beeps. I tested the power supply under load, all voltages looked good. *sigh*

I really hate those things. I think that's my third one. So I went off and ordered a new mobo and CPU (hey, I may as well do an upgrade while I'm at it) from Tigerdirect. I also got a Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder to do video podcasting with. So, $360 for the Gigabyte mobo with an AMD Phenom quad-core and the Kodak. Not bad. The only issue is, that $360 was going to buy the oscilloscope I wanted. Oh well, maybe next month.

tigerdirect?  Those guys are expensive.

Try Newegg.com..  wait for it... Next time.

;D

I've had motherboards go bad, usually moreso than other parts of the computer.  Chances are the caps dried up.  Newer, higher quality motherboards are starting to use dry 'lytics that don't dry up.

I've used Newegg before, and was unimpressed with them. Sorry, but that's just my own opinion.

It does seem that mobos are the most fragile part of the system. I can't get one to last more than about two years.

Consul,

Are you sure you're getting adequate cooling? A couple failures in a row seems more than just coincidence. Heat kills mobos pretty quick if you don't get enough air moving over them. Even a great processor cooler won't save you unless you have a good airflow through the case. One PC I built for my daughter got scorched when the case clogged with dog hair (Golden Retrievers shed enough to knit sweaters for a family of six.)

I know they're supposed to shut down when overheated....but??   Also, try ASUS mobos. Maybe you'll have better luck with a different brand. And maybe a case fan blowing in in front, and a case fan in back blowing out.

Tod

This was an Asus. I'm trying a different brand now.

I definitely have a pet hair issue at this particular house, so I'm keeping the computer, which has a nice case fan, off the floor and on the desk from now on. Also, we're not talking about three mobo failures in as many months or something like that. We're talking throughout my life. It's just what I've noticed about my computers: it's usually the motherboard that dies.

Back