Computer Speakers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

I know this opens up the gates of Hell, but...

My partner needs a pair of computer speakers to plug into her laptop. Requirements:

1. Portable, powered.
2. Reasonably affordable.
3. Not *too* horrible sounding. I know computer speakers, for the most part, stink; she needs something that doesn't stink as badly as most.

Any recommendations? If it was me, I'd choose a good pair of powered monitors, but that violates criteria 1 and 2. We're not talking an audio professional here, but someone who needs the equivalent of a better-quality boombox.

Peace,
Paul

I've seen a couple of JBL and Bose portable and powered, I don't know what you call affordable, a number here may help us to help you better...

JS

your best bet would be getting some 5" second hand powered studio monitors from a brand you already know.
That way you know you are getting decent quality at a good price.
JBL, KRK, Adam, Yamaha, Tannoy, <Insert Brand Here>

A few years ago, "Monsoon" branded some desktop electrostatics (!!!) with a tolerable band-pass design LF 'woofer'/power supply/controller.

monsooncomputerspeakers.jpg

If you can find a set that works decently, they were actually stunningly good compared to the usual 'squawk-and-hiss' dolls-shoebox jobbies.

Oooh... maybe by 'powered' you didn't mean what I understand by 'powered'...?

He did say portable and it's for his partner , can you do without the sub Paul ?
but it's a good thread because I never expect any of them to sound good , so
it'll be a nice surprise , hopefully

I got some yamaha ones for my old man a few years back and they sounded great.

definately better than the altec lansing ones bundled with his PC.

I've had good luck with small computer speakers... first with some old prototype computer speakers made by Peavey, that I got from one of the speaker engineers and later some Altec Lansing (plus sub), I got from another friend who was responsible for them. So I have never actually bought computer speakers, and the Peavey prototypes I threw away are better than many.

While these are very very new,
398421_460136600689145_307893289_n.jpg

Danley is very well respected for their big dog "real" loudspeakers. I don't know if these are a joke or serious.

It would be good to try to audition specific models, or rely upon specific 1st hand advice. It is not impossible to make these very good at modest SPL, while so many do not accomplish even that.

Good luck.

JR 

Thanks for all the suggestions. No, no subwoofers for this assignment; she wants to be able to move the speakers easily from room to room with the laptop. Most of her listening will probably be spoken word, so deep bass isn't a requirement.

This afternoon I got a pair of Logitech speakers, quite small but not as awful as the rest of the stuff I auditioned. (Some of the ones at Micro Center sounded worse than the transistor radio I had when I was nine.) We'll find out Friday if they're what the doctor ordered.

Peace,
Paul

Back