Advice on Neumann PV46sd

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropicalista

Hello all,

After some time reading and researching this brilliant resource I’m posting my first post and looking for some advice.

I am working on a 1968 Neumann Recording Console that has a number of PV46sd line cards.
I have replaced the Electrolytic capacitors.

When on the bench they test good and have around 40 to 45db of gain. However I have two questions:

1. What does R27 do? It is a 5K trimmer. When I adjust it, the THD/Noise rises from 0.05% to 4% and it adjusts the volume by around 1db

2. All of the cards have 300 Ohm resistors at R11 & R12, but they all have slightly different output levels, ranging from 40db to 45db. Is this normal or is there
a possible component failure? Resistors test good with a multi meter. Trimmers test good.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Will

Attachments

• pv46sd.jpg
    pv46sd.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • pv 46 3.jpg
    pv 46 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • pv46 2.jpg
    pv46 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks.

1. OK, so the idea here is to match the resistance?

2. On my jig I have two resistors across these points as illustrated on the schemo.

OK got it, One of the trimmers is faulty and no longer works.

1. Are these german 5k trimmers still avaialble somewhere or would you suggest I replace with a modern trimmer?

2. Any reason I might have different gains from different cards? component failure/tolerance? transformer changes over time?

1. Hard to find. Look at the footprint ( mm ) for the new one...

2. Component changing over time or the place maters ( adjusted ad the consul )

Latest posts

Back