country hick cap question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the cap is only 10uF, I would try to sqeeze a poly cap in there. Something like a Solen or similar will sound much better than an electrolytic. You could even use poly caps for the other two caps as well if you desire. They are physically larger than 'lytics, but they sound much better IMO.

Cheers,
Zach

The 10 mfd was indeed a 'lytic, but there shouldn't be any problem using a poly, mylar or whatever will physically fit. The electrolytics don't seem to be a problem though, because the DI I opened was at least 15 years old and the cap was fine. Make sure you use a tantalum for the 1 mfd.

Thanks guys!  The only 1uF poly's I have found (Mouser) are on the order of $5-6 dollars.  Is the improvement over a 'lytic worth this extra cash?  Thanks,

David

I think the poly's are worth it when they are in the signal path. Yes, they are a fair bit more money, but they are great. You can even use the Dayton Audio caps available from Parts Express. They seem to be very similar to the Solen caps, and I have used them many times with great success.

Cheers,
Zach

Back