Cultural Appropriation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from: DaveP on Today at 03:52:58 AM
If Trump is a racist, why is he trying to get ASAP Rocky released from Sweden?

The word you're looking for is "token".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenism
The message you are conveying is that he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
So it's Obama who could do no wrong and Trump who can do no right.  Got it.

DaveP

DaveP said:
The message you are conveying is that he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

DaveP
Choosing racist actions even if a person has no personal animosity towards the targeted group still deserves criticism. Said another way, Trump may not care at all what race a person is, but he has certainly chosen to say things that function in a racist way (and encourage a political base that to a significant degree is racist - the statistics on white supremacy groups make this undeniable).
I personally think Republican leadership doesn't give a damn about race, they care about money and power.  But they are opportunistically choosing veiled racist strategies since they are effective with their base.

How can anyone justify Trump's long birther conspiracy while Obama was President? Trump acknowledged in 2016 Obama was born in the USA but never apologized for years of attacks.  Be sure to read the 50+ tweets Trump made accusing President Obama of lying about his place of birth  --  saying Obama was an illegitimate President and stoking the racist conspiracy that Obama was an Islamic enemy to America.

DaveP said:

Not at all what I said - please don't put words in my mouth.

Obama was not perfect, but I do believe he was a better President.  By contrast I believe that Trump is clearly a racist, no matter how much he denies it. 

Choosing racist actions even if a person has no personal animosity towards the targeted group still deserves criticism. Said another way, Trump may not care at all what race a person is, but he has certainly chosen to say things that function in a racist way (and encourage a political base that to a significant degree is racist - the statistics on white supremacy groups make this undeniable).
I personally think Republican leadership doesn't give a damn about race, they care about money and power.  But they are opportunistically choosing veiled racist strategies since they are effective with their base.
I can agree with this, but please note that he has enabled the death sentence for a white suprematist included in the 5 federal prisoners scheduled for execution.

How can anyone justify Trump's long birther conspiracy while Obama was President? Trump acknowledged in 2016 Obama was born in the USA but never apologized for years of attacks.  Be sure to read the 50+ tweets Trump made accusing President Obama of lying about his place of birth  --  saying Obama was an illegitimate President and stoking the racist conspiracy that Obama was an Islamic enemy to America.

I also agree with this.  Denying his citizenship is similar to denying climate change.

DaveP

DaveP said:

DaveP
If Obama had tried to secure the release of the rapper in Sweden, would Trump have given him credit for it?  Or would he have tweeted about Obama only caring about "his kind"?

For me, Trump is a broken clock: right occasionally by accident.

Back