D.I. (Almost) Y.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Hi gang,

I was doing a project once and I had a curious thing happen that made me really realize what a DIY guy I really am. I was building a high end (x) for my studio, and so I did the usual - spent hours researching, studying, gathering info, and in the process I discovered there was an expert who made (x). The best in the world as it turns out.

So I contacted mr. x, and asked if he had any suggestions on the build (what an opportunity!). Mr. x was very kind, and even offered to send me a pcb with power supply parts on it, as well as parts for the build. Again, what an opportunity! Mr. x is known literally everywhere, and to have a conversation with him and even get parts/advice - wow!

In the process mr. x suggested, why didn't I just buy the power supply from mr. y. And then of course I could send the completed unit to mr. x to be adjusted.

All of this was amazing talk, but when it got to "why don't you just buy the power supply" my heart sank. I realized, sure, I could buy a perfectly tested and functioning PSU from mr. y. But POOOOOF all the air just went out of the project! I realized how much I LIKE the challenges!

I'm still a "newbie." Sure I took physics in hs and college, did well, and I know ohms law and can read a schematic (passingly). The challenge of taking a schematic and turning it into a functioning (x), I realized, is a THRILL!

At that point I almost felt like going, well, why don't I just buy a NEW (x) off the shelf, for the little involvment I would have ended up having!!

I'm still excited about the project! Even though I'm getting a pcb from mr x, some contact with mr. y, and a PSU housing for vintage looks from manufacturer Z.

All of this brings up the point, we're pretty unique guys and gals around here. What's your experience with DIY, or DI (almost) Y, and where do you draw the line on sending things out vs DIY?

For example, I always design my own enclosures, but I WON'T do the metal work! I'll pay $$ so it looks pretty. But I've seen a lotta guys here with some pretty low-tech looking - but high pride filled and functioning - gear!

Let's hear it. How DIY are you?

Mike

all I can do by myself, I try to do it :
pcb design, metal work, power supply. Not smart enough to design my own preamp/comp/schematic, I whish I could (but as I read more and more of them, I start to understand few things about it)
I started with the classic green preamp. Took the rev14, etch it, and that was a go.
Second one is a G IX, custom pcb with the mods for intrument input (and even design at the same time the pcb for the LL1538XL)
Third one was designed from the 312 pre, mixed between fabio's design and Jeff's one.
Fourth one was a 1176, new ground schem and 2 other small things on it (can't even remember that)
Fifth one was my first not DIY pcb, EZ1290... So I put a phase/Pad/Impedance/48v with it.

All my enclosures are drilled/paint by myself, I think I could do better if I had a CNC, but I kindda like the look they have, really raw, with no really fancy stuff on it. So when you see it, you don't really know what to expect from those units. They sound wonderful!

Actually, I'm working on the Transient designer, and a GSSL (with few option, redesign of the complete pcb). Well, I could by the mixbuzz or another clone, but when I can fnd time to do this, I'm so happy that I forget that's some work...

I think we all have to take DIY and take it where we can. Some of us just like to build kits like Lego (I come from the lego stuff...), some of us are pure genius, some of us are just good enough to do what they want. I just love this place for all we can find here.

Nice, Sam!

I've built some 7th circle audio stuff, some soundskulptor pres, a green pre (by FAR the hardest!), and now I've got an 1176 and a mic project in the works. I'm studying PSU's so I can understand them better for my mic project.

LOVE IT!

I do all what I can with the tools I have, send the heavy metal work because I don't have a welder nor guillotine, but small stuff do myself, I have a drill press, just made a metal folder, metal scissors...

For electronics the same, from PCB to transformers (output and supply) still can't do an input one, but I want to. The schemes, for my mixer I'm doing the design using well known DOAs, but the rest most by my self. A friend of mine knew a little workshop of boutique guitar pedals and amps that made their own transistors... Seems too much for me, but AWSOME!

I think the thing is what do you like to do, what do you enjoy... And how much you can do (time, skill, tools, etc) right now I have a lot of time because I'm recovering my broken leg, a couple of recently works help me to get several tools and learning skills in the process.

JS

Like post people I try to do as much as I can but sometimes depending on the amount of time available with the usual studio work I can't always devote the time I want to or require.  so I'll cut some corners by using premade power supplies that I will rack up or put in an external box.

At age 12 I went DIY...building a tube amp from chassis to winding all the transformers. I kept at it for 38yrs each project tougher than the last and now I am no longer fired up. But I love to come here and "feel" the enthusiasm for it brings me back to a time. 

analag said:
... I am no longer fired up. But I love to come here and "feel" the enthusiasm for it brings me back to a time.

laught16.gif

The enthusiasm always comes back to some extent right?  I find it ebbs and flows, sometimes over a period of years.  I hope it comes back to ya.

I DIY for the sheer joy of it. I build equipment I don't even need - like the MK47. I've no need for more microphones in my life, yet I built one just for the experience. 

Metalwork is a thorn in my side, but I do it anyway. Sending away for pristine CNC'ed panels goes against the DIY spirit in my book.  But if I CNC'ed them myself... that would be different. :)  Funky re-used enclosures with label tape graphics is always preferable to non-diy.

Here's where it gets psychotic:
  After (sometimes weeks of) troubleshooting, when I fire it up and it works perfectly, and needs no more tweaking, I feel bummed. That's fucking ridiculous, but it's happened on numerous occasions.

After (sometimes weeks of) troubleshooting, when I fire it up and it works perfectly, and needs no more tweaking, I feel bummed. That's f**king ridiculous, but it's happened on numerous occasions.
Hilarious! But, I get ya! It might sound funny but I LOVE the research part of it all...figuring it all out, the wiring, etc...I find once I understand what to do...that's when I lose some interest...Weird, I know! But I do enjoy the actual doing, as well.

Latest posts

Back