D I WHY!?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Just finished some output attenuators for some Neve clones.... And then realized I did em backwards!  Full gain to the left, instead of right....  Arg!! :mad:

Time for a bad movie and a de soldering pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.9 KB
If you have not done the front panel layout yet you could avoid the rebuild. If you annotate the control upside down it will work as is. To explain, if you think a normal clockwise control startswith the minimum at the bottom left and goes over the top  and round to the bottom right; instead you start with the minimum at the top left and go and go under and round up to the top right.

Cheers

Ian

Seeker said:
Just finished some output attenuators for some Neve clones.... And then realized I did em backwards!  Full gain to the left, instead of right....  Arg!! :mad:

Time for a bad movie and a de soldering pump.

I've done it for Elma 24-step rotaries (custom log-curve). :( I was so disappointed in myself I didn't bother desoldering, but instead made new ones hoping there will come a day the reversed ones will become useful.

I have another quad-decker with a custom-log curve where I biased the curve wrong and it wasn't useful for the application.  :eek:

Yea, I coulda just left em reversed but it woulda driven me nuts.... And if I just flipped em around the taper woulda been wrong.  Oh well, my desoldering skills are now one better, and I'm sure I won't do that again for a while!

I kind of like the backwards approach personally. I'm left handed so why can't going left make it louder once in a while?
I also like the backwards fader concept where pushing away makes it quieter.

pucho812 said:
I kind of like the backwards approach personally. I'm left handed so why can't going left make it louder once in a while?
I also like the backwards fader concept where pushing away makes it quieter.

Oh no, not that..... I used to work for a company that did that for acoustic guitar onboard preamps on the lefty models (Well.. most of them!)  Everything mirrored: pot placement, reverse taper, all that.
Nice in theory, but then you have to duplicate every board and assembly with mirrored traces, manage odd reverse taper pots, all that stuff, for about 2-4% of the quantity  :eek:

As a lefty who plays guitar right-handed, I say just say no to lefty pots!  8)

I did a dual pultec in reverse not too long ago. I had to walk down the block back and forth a few times when I realized what I did. I put the build down for several weeks and when I returned to it I just used pots.
I'll fix and replace the pots with switches in time, I honestly can't even look at them. So yeah I feel you.

> why can't going left make it louder once in a while?

Knobs on a US gas cook-top turn counter-clockwise for "more".

So do 3 of 5 knobs on our glass electric cooktop. The other two are baffling. They turn both ways. One way gives a smaller hot-spot, the other a larger hot-spot. Natch the "more" direction is clockwise for one size, counterclockwise for the other size. There's no way to memorize this.

While I understand the appeal of the glass cooktop, I think it (infrared type) is frikkin dangerous. You can't tell which burner (or how much of which burner) is hot except at the peak of the cycle (the glass glows dim red). I've already set a hotpad on fire.

I did have to take little breather after I realised what I did, but I'm glad I checked them before installing them.

I've got an API clone that's got all the switches inverted (down is on) but as long as it goes in one direction I can deal  I actually considered doing the gain switch in reverse as well but... I'm right handed :D

PRR said:
While I understand the appeal of the glass cooktop, I think it (infrared type) is frikkin dangerous. You can't tell which burner (or how much of which burner) is hot except at the peak of the cycle (the glass glows dim red). I've already set a hotpad on fire.

We like to cook with cast iron skillets, so the radiant surfaces are right out. The old-school electric coils work well enough. My wife prefers gas but the cost to bring the gas line into the kitchen is ridiculous.

It seems like some variant on liquid crystal technology could indicate unsafe temperatures. I have seen liquid crystal thermometers but not for that high temperature range, and doubt they are robust enough for the expected appliance life time.

I expect you will learn to avoid the potentially hot areas.

JR

Heh, maybe your Neve clones will set a new benchmark for authenticity  - including English volume control!
Ever noticed that light switches in England are reversed - i.e. up is off?

jackies said:
Heh, maybe your Neve clones will set a new benchmark for authenticity  - including English volume control!
Ever noticed that light switches in England are reversed - i.e. up is off?

No they are not - it is yours that are reversed - same way you guys drive on the wrong side of the road!!

Cheers

Ian

Back