Microphone cable differences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian May uses a set-up that could be deemed as absurd in pure technical terms.
His Red Special originally incorporated a Vox Treble Booster.
Actually, due to its quite low input impedance, combined with the pick-ups inductance the TB starts with a serious band-pass filter that attenuates both treble and bass, and leaves only the midrangey sound.
When BM found out he got a better sound without the TB and just the natural distortion from the AC30's, he noticed that long cables actually moved the bandpss a few notches down, to a sound he liked more.
Such a set-up cannot be qualified in the usual terms of fidelity, like frequency response or distortion.

Hendrix also liked the curly cables because he could use it to make the guitar wail when he used feedback from speaker to pickup , downside is it can sometimes form a tuned circuit that demodulates radio transmissions ,
At the Isle of Wight 1970 concert Hendrix is all bummed out about the amps , Rory Gallaghers Taste also had major problems with breakthrough from police radio and brown outs of the mains supply at that festival .

Of course were in a very different place now with regards RF interference than we were back then , noxious levels of it are everywhere . I think the effect of using curly cables now would be so unpredictable that it would cause headaches .

I never thought of measuring a curly cable with the LCR , chances are both inductance and capacitance vary as the cable is stretched .

I believe it was the Dallas Rangemaster top boost pedal Rory recomended to Brian and it became an integral part of his sound.

Straight from the horses mouth , as we say

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back