D.i.y. oil can delay possible?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. I dashed all my d.i.y. hopes and dreams to pieces finding a cheap oil can delay that needs some love.

If anybody needs some info for their d.i.y. oil can, maybe i can get mine working and help somehow

Post your 'restoration blog' on the telray forum for best visibility.  What model did you pick up?  The best restoration story I came across recently was due to a 'bullet wound'.  Those oilcans are a nice blend of relatively simple mechanics and electronics.

Could a platter from an old hard disk be used to make a delay ?  It certainly has magnetic properties ,obviously the motor would need to be changed as 7200 rpm would be way to fast. Anyway might be worth checking further into .

The disk acts like a rotating field of little capacitors that store the analog voltage signal, and the signal voltage can then be sensed - sort of like a switched capacitor ADC input stage, or circular bucket-brigade, but partly mechanical.

Googling telray, morley and oilcan brings up a lot of comment, and the telray forum is a deep mine of information if you are actually keen on more than just a simple post.

Gene's link is not quite correct regarding the oil - it has no conducting particles in it, unless they were added by some diy'er doing some experimenting.  The capacitance is formed by the anodized layer on the aluminium platter - the manufacturing process of the platter has been effectively lost, and many telray forum threads discuss that topic.  It all adds to the mystique!

Ciao, Tim

Tubetec said:
Could a platter from an old hard disk be used to make a delay ?  It certainly has magnetic properties ,obviously the motor would need to be changed as 7200 rpm would be way to fast. Anyway might be worth checking further into .
The heads of a conventional hard disk actually "fly" just above the platter and are adjusted using a heating element. That is controlled by the circuitry on the drive and therefore you are committed to sending and receiving binary data as opposed to simply driving / receiving the head magnets directly.

If you are committed to writing/reading binary data then you might as well just create a relatively simple ADC -> memory -> DAC arrangement where a PIC simply marshals chunks of data from an ADC into a RAM chip and then a previously written chunk out a DAC. The delay time would be adjusted by both changing where the delayed data is read and also variably by simply adjusting the clock speed. You could also sum the data of many taps to get more elaborate effects. Because there's no major processing going on you could probably make something quite a bit faster than even the best effects processor. Might be a good way to make a reverb actually.

Cheers Gene ,Tim and Square,
Ive been googling up on the Telray ,Ive never seen one as there not many around this side of the pond ,its a shame the secrets of the platter were lost in the sands of time . The variable delay time of the telray was fairly unusual compared to many of the tape based systems of the time which only allowed the user to select different heads . I have a Mk2 Copicat which Ive done some mods on and managed to get the 50hz hum out of ,next mod might be a variable speed motor using a rc/hobby motor ,esc and servo tester ,being able to tempo match the echos will give a lot more scope to the unit.

It can be fun to drag an old device in to the future! 

I didn't like the idea of my Morley RSE pedal being powered from AC, so I kept the AC only for motor powering, and added a 9V typical pedal supply input for the electronics (early transistors), but did need to use two small dc/dc converters.

Similar to tape speed change, the signal frequency response would alter if the platter revs were changed, so I haven't gone down that path.  Just being on 50Hz makes a change for an oilcan, and the eccentric loading on the shaft introduce vibrato when needed, which is I guess not easy for a tape drive to do. 

I ended up purchasing a fender dimension iv.

Somebody cut out the oil can device and then hacked it back in with all manner of wire nuts, low volt clips and just twisting and tapeing wires. Most of that is sorted.

Im thinking of trying to mix PAG 45 and PAG 100 oils together to get the 65 viscosity of the UCON. But i haven't gotten that far yet

trobbins said:
Post your 'restoration blog' on the telray forum for best visibility.  What model did you pick up?  The best restoration story I came across recently was due to a 'bullet wound'.  Those oilcans are a nice blend of relatively simple mechanics and electronics.

Latest posts

Back