Dallas Rangemaster Treble Boost

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok that's it.

now i had to go buy a 4 x 8 of 18 ga just to keep up.

tired of paying 20 bucks a pop for a piece of scrap 22 gauge at the hardware,

those cheapazz 1590B aluminum boxes won't hold paint and they don't sheild the EFI.

this will make 84 stomp boxes.

shitmetal.jpg

diy brake>

somebody threw out an old bed frame which is now a stand. if that bed frame could talk...

brake.jpg

Last edited:
As Wah/boost goes, I have a Rocktron Black Cat Moan that is a side-project, the "moan" part is sounding very wrong, but it does what I'm trying to do with the Vox/Ge booster.

Btw trying to get the schematic for the Black Cat, only could find for the Rocktron Tri-Wah. Ideally I would like to remove the ( opamps x 2 ) "moan" board and be able to connect a tubescreamer-type directly to the internal connector.

Need to identify each wire in that internal connector.

Then again, just to have a decent Wah/boost, may get a working
Dunlop Slash Wah.

The side-switches suck, but it sure is pretty! ( and decent-sounding, but Ge diode mod is inevitable )

My first Wah was the chrome Morley. Going Vox was an upgrade,
but I sure miss that screamer, dream of eventually getting one for synth bus.
Maybe some day. Had the Bad Horsie after that, Morley more and more could only be used, if at all, at the end of the pedal chain, led/ldr pedal rocked though, and I always add that to my main Wah.

Rock on!!! 🎸🎸🎸🥁🎹🎷

Last edited:
bending the photo cells on the morley to dial it in does seem kind of weird, not to mention the black flapper and the weird lamp that always goes on and off due to the funky socket,

that filthy sanchez combo box is the way to go, saves path cords and space and it don't flop around like a mini screamer.
Exactly, and even better with 3 in a box like the blue one. Minimizes in/out and power supply jacks too.

Check out PedalPCB too. Mind-boggling selection. 400+ dirt pedals and counting.
Yep. Mind-boggling for sure. I think the OCD I made came from there. PedalPCB got going about the time I started getting burned out with it, so don't have many of theirs.
somebody threw out an old bed frame which is now a stand. if that bed frame could talk...
😂 Same 'ol CJ - Gittin' 'er done and cracking me up at the same time!

Aion FX has that Mouser BOM thing going on. Always feel my a little guilty when I get one 1/4 watt resistor bagged and tagged, I see negative profit there especially when the resistor is bubble wrapped.

I see another advantage to that 3 on one box, it would be easier to implement parallel processing once you figure out what order to put things in.

bending the photo cells on the morley to dial it in does seem kind of weird, not to mention the black flapper and the weird lamp that always goes on and off due to the funky socket,
CJ, you are a Morley Man!

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, it's been around for ages. For my taste it compresses way too much, kills all the life. I never really liked it, not in the 80s and not today. It might work well for me in a parallel chain, but I never tried it yet. Nevertheless many people seem happy to use it, same with the tubescreamer. Mine has not been used for maybe two decades, others pay hilarious prices just to get hold of an older unit.

Michael

I have a CS-3 that I used to use playing live. Haven't used it in years
Taiwan CS-3 that uses a THAT chip I think. These are pretty cheap to get on ebay.
I was going to order a Aion Aurora optical compressor to try out. Waiting to see if they have a black friday sale

I got two MXR 108s 10 band EQs and they're awesome. Sound great. Put in front / after fuzz or change the tone of an amp. Pretty cheap too
Need to change 3 smd resistors or else the LEDs bore a hole in your brain

As cheap pedals go, for booster, hard to beat the
Arion Parametric Sustainer, I've got two racked up with
about 4 Wha boards and other DIY stuff, it really makes single-coils sing.

Their Tubulator ( Tubescreamer ) also sounds great with Ge diodes.

And the Chorus is legendary on its own ( the SCH-1, I use the SCZ-1, newer model )

Just sayin'... 🎸🎸🎸

Last edited:
How about a Treble-booster Rangemaster-style, but built with a Darlington pair of transistors?

Maybe transistors of different models or even SI / Ge could be used?

Attachments

• IMG_5168.JPG
    IMG_5168.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

I’m a newbie around here, attracted by CJ’s awesome post of a few years ago about the strip-down of the Partridge Hiwatt 50 transformer. I have found memories of using the Electovoice version/clone of the Partridge transformers back in the day.

Anyway, seeing this thread made me think I should really post a few lines about a Rangemaster clone I built a while back for my Son to use with a WEM ER15 and for myself to use with what I call 60’s/70’s odd-ball ‘cage’ style amplifiers and also an early Selmer to get a tad more sparkle and brightness.

I suppose the Rangemaster was originally designed to partner some of the late 50’s and early 60’s British amps that could sound a tad dull.

It uses a Mullard OC44 salvaged from a mule transistor radio, true bypass switching and a switchable input coupling capacitor of 6n8 with a 47nF shunted in parallel by a toggle switch. It’s made using a length of tag strip fitted into a small Diecast box.

Pics attached.

Anyway, I thought it worthy of a post, also gotta make that ‘first’ post 😌

Regards

Terry

Attachments

• IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5111.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5108.JPG
    IMG_5108.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5107.JPG
    IMG_5107.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Cornish OC-1 (aion fx oceanid) compressor is not that great, going to salvage it for parts, NSL-32 opto (top) stays hammered on the whole time, no dynamics, they say it is like LA2a but no.

ng.jpg

yes they are!

small bear also.

got a superfuzz with bat 41/1n60 for asy clipping, nice and raunchy with some octaves,

crazy prices for originals , 1,000, 1500,
sf.jpg

Back