Dead Coles 4038

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
The "Cardioid" requires an exact mix of Ribbon and Dynamic. Since you can change one, but not the other, and the change would spoil the Cardioid, you are stuck.

It is possible to wind another Pri for the Dynamic element and scale up the ratio accordingly. This would give us 1:2.58 voltage ratio. What is the original core? M6 toroid, as they used in 4038? Then we end up with secondary of some 500-600 turns. With some #35 wire there still should be enough space for additional 200-250 turns (might need belt shuttle there). If to leave the Pri turns original then we can recycle the L1 and that won't be much of a problem to figure out what C1 is doing there.

But for this one, definitely 30:200 Ohm will be much easier...

Best, M

Mark, thanks for the transformer advice. If I need a spare transformer then I may use this one I have here and re-wind it.

Regarding the 4033, it's maybe worth mentioning that it's quite a "coloured" sounding microphone.

rodabod said:
Regarding the 4033, it's maybe worth mentioning that it's quite a "coloured" sounding microphone.

Probably why I like it - with both elements I think it has a certain "je ne sai quoi" when used closed up. Doesn't really warrant the effort of a rewind and associated fiddling. Might be fun to play with that capacitor though.

Given infinite play-time, you could bring both signals out to two preamps.

It's a nice idea, but not with the existing weirdo 3 pin connector, unless one went unbalanced.

I used to have a 4033. I found the sound, especially close-up, was reasonably close to that of a (non-A) U87 - quite dry and mid-prominent.

It doesn't have the same sensitivity of course, but it's a nice mic IMO.  :)

MagnetoSound said:
I used to have a 4033. I found the sound, especially close-up, was reasonably close to that of a (non-A) U87 - quite dry and mid-prominent.

You wouldn't be referring to the Audio Technica mic of the same model name would you, or is that just a coincidence?

rodabod said:
MagnetoSound said:

You wouldn't be referring to the Audio Technica mic of the same model name would you, or is that just a coincidence?

Nope. STC 4033A, in fact.

I may be exaggerating about the similarity - the transient detail wasn't all there of course, but the overall timbre really wasn't far off. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back