Deaths from climate change

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the forest in question has been a forest (i.e. not cleared for agriculture) for millenia. I'm sure humans cut some trees during that time, but the majority of that area is old forest.. Most temperate climate hardwood species start to decline after 100-400 years. Some specimens may grow for 1000. European softwoods are not as long-lived as species like Coast Redwood, Giant Sequoia, etc. I'm sure there are/were specimens there 500-800 years old.

I guess I don't agree with your definition of native. The trees growing there are primarily species endemic to northern Europe.
that's fair, i guess i don't really see the importance of the lifespan of trees to whether a forest is old. "the trees last 300 years, so a 300 year forest is old" is a bit like saying "people live 100 years, so a 100 year old city is old"

regardless, i hate to see a loss of green spaces. i agree with you overall, i just dont believe in platitudes like protecting forest "because it's old" (even if it's not) or casting the argument in a political way to point out the "other side's" hypocrisy. just say it's pretty and you like it and you don't want it changed. that's your base sentiment, isn't it? why make it complicated? i think just liking something is reason enough. "we shouldn't put a wind farm there because it's prettier without one" is a perfectly adequate reason that requires no additional justification IMO. i think most people, especially in political discussions, use logic as after-the-fact justifications for feelings and i find it dishonest. if you feel something and believe something, just feel and believe it.

Last edited:
that's fair, i guess i don't really see the importance of the lifespan of trees to whether a forest is old. "the trees last 300 years, so a 300 year forest is old" is a bit like saying "people live 100 years, so a 100 year old city is old"
I didn't say that. I said there are many trees there 300+ years old. Then I stated that most European hardwood species decline after 100-400 years. So a 300 year old tree is pretty old. The forest is much older as far as I can tell from a little research. It was never cutover for agriculture (or other) use, so it is likely to have existed for several millenia. During the last ice age it would have been a mix of tundra and possibly some softwood forest, so it can't be older than that

regardless, i hate to see a loss of green spaces. i agree with you overall, i just dont believe in platitudes like protecting forest "because it's old" (even if it's not)
Old forest ecosystems in the northern hemisphere are now rare. They should be protected because they are the last ecological vestiges of what came before and they are much more diverse than second growth and (obviously) tree plantations.

or casting the argument in a political way to point out the "other side's" hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy should always be exposed, IMO. It is not generally political to do so.

just say it's pretty and you like it and you don't want it changed. that's your base sentiment, isn't it?
Wrong. It has value beyond any human-centric viewpoint.

why make it complicated? i think just liking something is reason enough. "we shouldn't put a wind farm there because it's prettier without one" is a perfectly adequate reason that requires no additional justification IMO.
That was only a part of my argument. The main reason was the damage that would do to this rare european forest.

I didn't say that. I said there are many trees there 300+ years old. Then I stated that most European hardwood species decline after 100-400 years. So a 300 year old tree is pretty old. The forest is much older as far as I can tell from a little research. It was never cutover for agriculture (or other) use, so it is likely to have existed for several millenia. During the last ice age it would have been a mix of tundra and possibly some softwood forest, so it can't be older than that
i misunderstood, sorry
Old forest ecosystems in the northern hemisphere are now rare. They should be protected because they are the last ecological vestiges of what came before and they are much more diverse than second growth and (obviously) tree plantations.
the idea that old forest ecosystems should be protected is your perspective as a human. that these actions constitute "damage" is your own moral perspective as a human. that is to say, it's based on how you personally believe the world "should" operate. there is an ideal state, and there are deviations from that ideal state. to me, that's just extra words for finding something beautiful. maybe it isn't only that you find the area beautiful on a surface level, but also that you find the way the ecosystem works and the history of this area beautiful. appreciation and a desire to preserve beauty is still the root motivation IMO. this perspective is based on your values as a person, it's a perspective i agree with and a set of values i share, but it is still fundamentally a construct of the human mind and a personal desire on both of our parts. as human beings, we are not really capable of seeing things from a non-human viewpoint. i think to say so underestimates how vast and alien the world is compared to how we see it.

i guess the root of this is that i'm curious as to why you're saying that it's important in general that we do this rather than that it's important to you that we do this. why phrase it this way? what's the long term goal of establishing your values and engaging in comparison with others? i'm very curious about internet arguments and what purpose they serve. whenever i've done them, they just make me uncomfortable and don't accomplish anything, so i stop. i am fascinated by people who have these discussions about various topics every day. i don't understand, but i'd like to.

Last edited:
i misunderstood, sorry

the idea that old forest ecosystems should be protected is your perspective as a human. that these actions constitute "damage" is your own moral perspective as a human. that is to say, it's based on how you personally believe the world "should" operate. there is an ideal state, and there are deviations from that ideal state. to me, that's just extra words for finding something beautiful. maybe it isn't only that you find the area beautiful on a surface level, but also that you find the way the ecosystem works and the history of this area beautiful. appreciation and a desire to preserve beauty is still the root motivation IMO. this perspective is based on your values as a person, it's a perspective i agree with and a set of values i share, but it is still fundamentally a construct of the human mind and a personal desire on both of our parts. as human beings, we are not really capable of seeing things from a non-human viewpoint. i think to say so underestimates how vast and alien the world is compared to how we see it.

i guess the root of this is that i'm curious as to why you're saying that it's important in general that we do this rather than that it's important to you that we do this. why phrase it this way? what's the long term goal of establishing your opinion as factual and engaging in comparison with others? i'm very curious about internet arguments and what purpose they serve. whenever i've done them, they just make me uncomfortable and don't accomplish anything, so i stop. i am fascinated by people who have these discussions about various topics every day. i don't understand, but i'd like to.
I'm not interested in an academic philosophical debate. What is the alternative to not protecting such places? Letting them be destroyed (for human-centric purposes) or greatly degraded? Is that a better outcome in your opinion? I prefer to exist in some kind of balance with the natural world, not to dominate it just because I can.

I'm not interested in an academic philosophical debate. What is the alternative to not protecting such places? Letting them be destroyed (for human-centric purposes) or greatly degraded? Is that a better outcome in your opinion? I prefer to exist in some kind of balance with the natural world, not to dominate it just because I can.
no, i personally agree with you 100%. i'm just trying to figure out how i would enter into a conversation like this. I don't understand what the point of talking about it on the internet is. like, the ritual of staking your values and perspectives and then engaging with other people who deviate from them in a space that doesn't determine future, action, or policy. what does it do? this is not a joke or any kind of moral judgment. i genuinely don't understand, it's alien to me. that's why i'm never really in brewery. if you're not willing to help me understand (this is a big ask), that's OK. have a nice day

Last edited:
no, i personally agree with you 100%. i'm just trying to figure out how i would enter into a conversation like this. I don't understand what the point of talking about it on the internet is. like, the ritual of staking your values and perspectives and then engaging with other people who deviate from them in a space that doesn't determine future, action, or policy. what does it do? this is not a joke or any kind of moral judgment. i genuinely don't understand, it's alien to me. that's why i'm never really in brewery. if you're not willing to help me understand (this is a big ask), that's OK. have a nice day
Interaction between people who would likely never meet FTF is one of the few good things about the internet, IMO. Is it not good to also share and discuss values that may be similar or different? It is enlightening, if sometlmes frustrating, to discuss these sorts of topics with others.

Again, what's the alternative? Not discuss things where there might be disagreement? Only have such discussions in-person? Why create artificial barriers to enlightenment (by banning such discussions or avoiding them)?

Interaction between people who would likely never meet FTF is one of the few good things about the internet, IMO. Is it not good to also share and discuss values that may be similar or different? It is enlightening, if sometlmes frustrating, to discuss these sorts of topics with others.

Again, what's the alternative? Not discuss things where there might be disagreement? Only have such discussions in-person? Why create artificial barriers to enlightenment (by banning such discussions or avoiding them)?
i guess for me the pleasure also lies in seeing people's perspectives and learning how varied people's opinions can be and trying to unpack what underlies them, but the directions people take confuse me. i think a few threads ago i saw a guy argue that homosexuality is bad because it's caused by childhood molestation, and everyone focused on unpacking whether there was a link between being molested as a child and homosexuality, but nobody talked about the underlying premise (that things inherit the moral or ethical goodness of their causes) and the issues with that premise, and that's wild to me. i can't imagine living in a world where things inherit the morality of their causes. even if his premise is true, that's wild! if homosexuality is bad just because it's caused by being molested, then what about like, that guy that took a nail gun to the head and woke up able to play the piano? is playing the piano bad now because it was caused by a bad thing? if so, is it just him playing the piano that's bad, or did the nail gun accident retroactively make all piano playing bad? how far does this perspective extend? the cure for polio was motivated by people dying of polio. does that make the cure for polio bad? i didn't see anyone bring this up. they tried to attack his facts instead of the way he was using his facts, and that was really interesting. i see that a lot in these discussions as an observer. people are fascinating. after observing for a while i decided that he had a cultural-moral belief about homosexuality and was trying to work backwards to justify it, which is another odd behavior i see a lot. i would love to get involved in discussions online, but i find it uncomfortable and scary right now, so i tend to just watch.

i guess for me the pleasure also lies in seeing people's perspectives and learning how varied people's opinions can be and trying to unpack what underlies them, but the directions people take confuse me. i think a few threads ago i saw a guy argue that homosexuality is bad because it's caused by childhood molestation, and everyone focused on unpacking whether there was a link between being molested as a child and homosexuality, but nobody talked about the underlying premise (that things inherit the moral or ethical goodness of their causes) and the issues with that premise, and that's wild to me. i can't imagine living in a world where things inherit the morality of their causes. even if his premise is true, that's wild! if homosexuality is bad just because it's caused by being molested, then what about like, that guy that took a nail gun to the head and woke up able to play the piano. is playing the piano bad now because it was caused by a bad thing? if so, is it just him playing the piano that's bad, or did the nail gun accident retroactively make all piano playing bad? how far does this perspective extend? the cure for polio was motivated by people dying of polio. does that make the cure for polio bad? i didn't see anyone bring this up. they tried to attack his facts instead of the way he was using his facts, and that was really interesting. i see that a lot in these discussions as an observer. people are fascinating. after observing for a while i decided that he had a cultural-moral belief about homosexuality and was trying to work backwards to justify it, which is another odd behavior i see a lot. i would love to get involved in discussions online, but i find it uncomfortable and scary
I worked outside all day. I'm tired. Will have a bourbon, neat, and read a book. Not going down the philosophical rat hole tonight. Cheers.

That's weather, not climate...

Everybody is rejoicing over here, because after two very dry and hot years, the water supply is 100% again. Everyone is hoping the rain will stop now. I'm writing this in front of the open window, letting spring in.

Doesn't change the fact today's 100% is still only 60% of the historical level. Or 15 m, measured in another way. I have a friend who makes his own beer. According to him there's too many brewers over here and that's why the water level will never be what it once was. :cool:

That's weather, not climate...

Everybody is rejoicing over here, because after two very dry and hot years, the water supply is 100% again.
Surface reservoirs?

Everyone is hoping the rain will stop now. I'm writing this in front of the open window, letting spring in.

Doesn't change the fact today's 100% is still only 60% of the historical level. Or 15 m, measured in another way.
Eh? Are you talking about surface storage or ground water?

I have a friend who makes his own beer. According to him there's too many brewers over here and that's why the water level will never be what it once was. :cool:
Lol

It's about the level of natural ground water. Provides drinking water...
Has nothing to do with climate. You're pumping more than can be replenished by infiltration. It's only in very recent history that deep wells have been in common use. Humans assuming it's a magical near-infinite resource is the problem. Groundwater is not very well understood in general.

BTW, surface reservoirs are also used for drinking water (with treatment, of course).

i don't understand, but i'd like to.

Matador said:
This is an audio-related website, yet you can get deconstructive feedback from people with extensive careers and PhD's in biology, virology, macro enonomics, comparative psychology, modern relativism, electrical engineering, physics, cosmology, political science, medicine, sociology, and even paleontology - often all from the same person as well.

soliloqueen said:
after observing for a while i decided that he had a cultural-moral belief about homosexuality and was trying to work backwards to justify it, which is another odd behavior i see a lot.

You claim to not understand internet conversations in the Brewery, but you seem understand it quite well. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Back in the mid 90s I wrote a paper on intrinsic value in nature as part of my philosophy studies. If I had a confirmation bias going into that research it was that I wanted to come to the conclusion that there was ex-anthropogenic value in nature.

Some of the discussion here reminded me of that work (basically addressing similar considerations). The intrinsic/instrumental value discussion has been ongoing for ever and a day.

I appreciate the directness in the approach that: if it is the beauty of the old growth forest that is worth preserving, then say it as such. However, the world bends (such as in politics) and often not in the way we want (or the way it should, that is, if it should).

To address your statement of "what the point is of talking about it on the internet" (considering values and perspectives), I am not sure there is an awful lot of point. The internet does allow for a clarity of expression of thought, if such is desired. Double-edged sword this, half the time it seems like people go out of their way to misunderstand so they can do what they do best, troll.

In respect of this, I note that what is revealed, for example in the brewery, is the persona of the avatar. Some people find liking/disliking or ambivalence towards someone (or something like an internet representation of a self) as unnecessarily emotive. I'm old-fashioned, the brewery, in the very least, provides me with enough information about the avatars presented to know who I would and would not give the time of day to. Extending this you can glean (about people) if you want to (and you have the cognitive capability). Of course you don't actually have to interact for any of this.

So why interact? Discussing "rituals" and "claim staking", from a historical perspective one might want enshrine ones values (such as through value-oriented internet interactions in the brewery) for the sake of one's own posterity? Or perhaps for the sake of future research, maybe your posts will generate a profile of you which will become data for future psychologists exploring human "typing"? (i.e. "cognitive types", not use of a keyboard).

Moreover, no doubt prophets will be (and probably already have been) made by the internet? Do you aspire to be a prophet?

Further, people, particularly men, want to leave a legacy, this is such a huge innate driver for many. It is genuinely possible that someone, who has the power to do so, will destroy most of the world at the same time taking comfort in the knowledge that he/she (let us face it probably he) will be the one known (at least by those who survive - delicate metric this, got to balance the catastrophe) as the one who changed everything for everyone. History will never forget this person and they will be immortal! Fame and immortality! Moses, Gilgamesh, Julius Caesar, Lao Tzu, Jesus Christ, Stalin, that dude who blew up the world...

It gets more exciting, it could be a race! Holy wars and the end of days might win. What about a curve ball? Destroying the world for the love of it? The moral saviour? Benevolent depopulation?

An interesting question comes to mind, if you could control the masses, would you? Or could you even stop yourself from doing so given you had the power to do so?

Sorry, I have digressed somewhat with tongue firmly in cheek.

What is interesting is that from now on, at least for the most part (I understand there will be exceptions), that because of the internet, people will know so much more about their ancestors than ever before: how they thought, what they did, who they were. In the past you barely got to know your grandparents and you really didn't/don't have much of an idea of how your parents actually ticked.

Will this change have an influence on how we evolve and what consitutes (and how is developed (e.g. through individuation)) our sense of self?

Oh, and as this is a climate thread, a dialogue:

"We've run out of sustainable wood sir"

"What about that old growth forest?"

"That forest is protected for its beauty sir"

"But we need wood and beauty is an abstract concept (it is in the eye of the beholder son) without any over-arching cohesive universal conceptualisation, so chop down the trees".

"Why do we need more wood sir?"

"To build homes for squirrels"

"Why do we need to build homes for squirrels sir?"

"You wouldn't understand, research has identified squirrels to be the canary in the box for the survival of this planet".

Hopefully there is enough absurdity in the above dialogue to raise a chuckle.

Latest posts

Back