Deaths from climate change

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that. You know that. Pity the net zero alarmists don't and these days they seem to be the ones driving the narrative.

Well, at least they're not as nauseating as the "Stop oil now!" crowd. They seem to have given up. Maybe they realised they weren't helping the cause by enraging many.

The snopes in this one is strong...

Dostoevsky said:
A man who lies to himself, and believes his own lies becomes unable to recognize truth, either in himself or in anyone else, and he ends up losing respect for himself and for others. ,etc.
===
“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.”
===
“To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's.”
===
It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently.
===
“Nothing in this world is harder than speaking the truth, nothing easier than flattery.”
====
“Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time.”
===
“Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering...”
===
“I think the devil doesn't exist, but man has created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness.”
===
“Don’t let us forget that the causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.”

Kind of dark... a couple of those quotes were from "crime and punishment". I read that book several decades ago.

JR

Last edited:
Interesting that their only 'proof' he did not say it was "But we found no record of the writer ever making this statement." How do we know how hard they looked??

Cheers

Ian
Are you arguing that you think he said it? I found discussion that it was inconsistent with Dostoevsky's philosophy.

I searched through lists of multiple Dostoevsky quotes trying to prove you correct, but didn't find anything similar.

I like the quote, but remain unconvinced of the attribution.

JR

Interesting that their only 'proof' he did not say it was "But we found no record of the writer ever making this statement." How do we know how hard they looked??
I mean if they were lazy about it would be easy to refute their by citing the source of the source, but there doesn't appear one. JR posted a lot of nice Dostoevsky quotes that are easily traceable.
Oh well, as Abraham Lincoln one said, "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

I mean if they were lazy about it would be easy to refute their by citing the source of the source, but there doesn't appear one. JR posted a lot of nice Dostoevsky quotes that are easily traceable.of
I agree and I suspect the balance of probability is that the quote is fake. But if I wanted to be confident that it was not a genuine quote, I would try to contact several the people who posted it and ask them for the source. If they were unable to provide it then you could legitimately state I of the X number of people who made this quote, none of them could name a source. But they do not seem to have done that. They just said they could not find a source. If they are going to set themselves up as an arbiter of what is or is not true they need to do a much better job than them just saying they could not find a source.

Cheers

IAn

With about 6000 occurrences on the net I wouldn't call the quote "fake". We just don't know who once said that. But does it matter?

A lot of quotes were attributed to some famous name, but came from others. It wasn't until the famous person used it, or wrote it down that people started noticing. A known mechanism, not unlike the 32 apes conundrum.

With about 6000 occurrences on the net I wouldn't call the quote "fake". We just don't know who once said that. But does it matter?
I thought it was obvious that  fake refers to the attribution.
False attribution is a way of giving unearned gravitas to a sentiment. It doesn't reflect well on those who uncritically spread it. It doesn't "matter" because this is the internet so who cares.

There used to be a moderator around these parts who said things like "just the facts" and "I can't predict the future". I wonder what that guy would think about a false quote that predicts a non-thinking future.
I imagine that moderator would think "Not that far from the truth"

Cheers

Ian

The world needs an enemy (Marwan Barghouti)...

It's funny how they link concrete to heat in cities. Avoiding the elephant in the room: asphalt. In the US, 94% of roads are asphalt. It heats up faster than concrete and is a permanent source of hydrocarbons in the air. Even when it's cold. Concrete has NO emissions.

There are a lot of holes in climate research. Doesn't take away we need to be far cleaner. There are over 100,000 containers with radio-active waste in our oceans, fi. How long do we think that we can keep that up? Micro plastics are everywhere. Then we need to address PFAs and the like. Not climate related, but evidence of how we are burning up our planet.

When a species disappears, we don't know if that is mother nature's way of ending a development strain, or caused by us. Logic dictates, however that most species were terminated by man.

Latest posts

Back