Designing first front panel.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iampoor1

Hi

Im looking to design an original front panel graphic. I have a basic design to copy  ;D Whats the best way to build accurate scales?

Also, is anyone here avaliable to print custom white decals? I have the clear transfer, just not the ability to print white....

Hi Iampoor1 (...this name...)
I think I can help you somehow  ;D

just few days ago I finished my Gssl Clone, it works and it looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/f/12/c1mx.jpg/

I made the design for the frontal panel all by myself; I started setting the image format like standard 1U rack unit (just google for racks standard measures, nothing hard); Then you just put a "sample" panel for correct distance between knobs and varous stuff; then you just play with your creativity and make this world a more coloured and racky place  :p

The next step is to print, somehow, our creation; there are many ways to do it; if you're a really talented artist, you can just take some spray can and do the job; if you're not such a great artist like I'm NOT ( ???), then I know 3 options;

1) [For B&W design only]: using decals is fast and easy, but very limited in colours and originality (Imho, sometime a classic design is better than everything else)

2) Print your design on an adhesive trasparent film or a vynil sticker, which many uses with great results; films and stickers are weak, so you need a protective films against scratch and hurts (really, without protective film, colour easily go away)

3) go to someone who has a cutting / incision firm: they usually print images on metal plates, but this has many cons... unluckily..
They can ask you several time and money, (approx from 10 to 30 €/$, depending on your dealing skills) and it's not sure that the work will be done well;
There are dozen of issue with the type of file, trasparent or not, the type of machine they have, and ESPECIALLY, the ability of their designer: my front plate has been done this way, but I was careless and trustful... I should have said much more directives instead...

So, choose whatever you prefer! I hope this could be helpful to ya!

Cheerz

Engels said:
Hi Iampoor1 (...this name...)
I think I can help you somehow  ;D

just few days ago I finished my Gssl Clone, it works and it looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/f/12/c1mx.jpg/

I made the design for the frontal panel all by myself; I started setting the image format like standard 1U rack unit (just google for racks standard measures, nothing hard); Then you just put a "sample" panel for correct distance between knobs and varous stuff; then you just play with your creativity and make this world a more coloured and racky place  :p

The next step is to print, somehow, our creation; there are many ways to do it; if you're a really talented artist, you can just take some spray can and do the job; if you're not such a great artist like I'm NOT ( ???), then I know 3 options;

1) [For B&W design only]: using decals is fast and easy, but very limited in colours and originality (Imho, sometime a classic design is better than everything else)

2) Print your design on an adhesive trasparent film or a vynil sticker, which many uses with great results; films and stickers are weak, so you need a protective films against scratch and hurts (really, without protective film, colour easily go away)

3) go to someone who has a cutting / incision firm: they usually print images on metal plates, but this has many cons... unluckily..
They can ask you several time and money, (approx from 10 to 30 €/$, depending on your dealing skills) and it's not sure that the work will be done well;
There are dozen of issue with the type of file, trasparent or not, the type of machine they have, and ESPECIALLY, the ability of their designer: my front plate has been done this way, but I was careless and trustful... I should have said much more directives instead...

So, choose whatever you prefer! I hope this could be helpful to ya!

Cheerz

Hey Engels! I was actually looking at your build yestarday! Very Very unique, love it!

Where can you get good decals on classic markings? I have some Neve clones to rerack....
The challenge is printing white on a dark glue/grey! Ive been considering screenprinting, have you ever tried that option?

Very helpful! Just more options to consider!  ;D

glad you like it =)
About white printing I had issue too;
There's a narrow difference between white and transparent; not many printers can do both transparent and white!
Some read white zone as trasparent, some read trasparent as white, so be care of this;

Anyway, I don't really know what is the best decal for this job; Many people here has dark rack units and uses white decals, but I'm not sure;
I heard of someone using silkscreen method, good option if you have the proper tools as always =)

Here on the forum there should be more guidelines and also more precise than what I can say

Back