Determining current capability of unknown mains transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyB

Just going through my junk/old stuff boxes and I have a few salvaged valve psu transformers. Is there any way to work out current capability from the off load/ differently loaded voltages and dc resistance of the windings? Something I've never thought about until now??

Just going through my junk/old stuff boxes and I have a few salvaged valve psu transformers. Is there any way to work out current capability from the off load/ differently loaded voltages and dc resistance of the windings? Something I've never thought about until now??
I am not the transformer guy here but I believe that there is a term called "regulation" that quantifies the voltage sag when you load down a transformer.

By measuring and noting how much the winding voltage sags under load you may get a sense of how much current it can supply comfortably.... or not.

JR

Regulation is basically a measure of how much the output voltage drops from no load to rated load. 10% is a typical figure for a toroid but it may be higher for EI and small transformers. You can get a good idea of the regulation by measuring the open circuit ac secondary voltage and the resistance of the same winding. If the regulation is 10% (which is a typical figure). In simple terms, the rated load will be 9 times the dcr if the regulation is 10% (10% lost in the dcr and 90% reaching the load). So the rated current will be approximately the open circuit secondary ac voltage divided by 10 times the dcr.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
usually I'd go with weight - although this dosen't work when trying to estimate transformers with different wire size and thus different current ratings

If (and that is a big if) it is the Coil-wires that is comming out - you can measure them with a Caliber or better MicroMeter.
You then (kind off) need to subtract the Insulation / lacquer - here you can often find the Wire in Tables, wich gives you both (and some of them even the Max. Amps).

This allows you to find the ABSOLUTE Max. current the Wire itself will withstand -> often a max. Very short term Amp Out of that Winding.
In Big Transformers that aren't fully filled - this can equate to the Max. continues Amps ....
The reason this in many cases are higher than what the Manufactor will allow, has to do with Temperature Rise under Load, combined with the Maximum allowed Lacquer Temperature ....

Warning - Older Transformers have lacquer that do NOT allow for the temperatures many modern ones can handle ...! => Lower Max Amps.

Per

It would he;p a lot to know the gear any transformer came from. If it was from something with valves, the heater (6.3, 5 or 12.6 volt windings would 'expect ' to be running into a resistive load (heaters) which is a different proposition altogether from a silicon rectified (capacitively 'smoothed') supply.
When I was asking for transformers to be made for me they have a range of scenarios in mind and may well use wire guages picked for the best and most efficient bobin winds. Thus the very thin gauges would not be wound in and among thicker (heater) windings, then of course considerations of insulation between the various windings. The current at which a winding will 'fuse' (melt) may seem totally unrelated to what you might expect as the core MAY limit the total power that can be put into any specific winding. There is also consideration about how hot the original designer expected the transformer to get which would be specified by the customer. A 'Cheap' transformer for a car battery charger would be expected to run hot for a few tens of hours once in a while but not to work at full rating indefinitely like a power supply in a HiFi unit (although normally only giving full power occasionally)

I have almost the same question, but from two different different angles...considering a multi-winding transformer's specs for intended rectifier configurations, when seeking to use for something else.

Long post, hopefully of interest to someone besides myself, and I promise no discussion of what color my socks or underwear are today.

I have many transformers that have specs, and I would like some opinions, corrections or sanity checking on thoughts about repurposing. The specs were from drawings, with a 'test circuit' they were expected to satisfy. The test circuit, for obvious reasons, is simpler than the product(s) the transformer was installed into.

I often refer to Hammond's (and others) charts for different rectifier configurations and loads. They answer most questions that come up when considering 'translating' AC VA rating to various DC rectification applications. My initial 'comfort level' adjustment for FWB+filter cap repurposing of a small isolation transformer is VA/1.8. = W. Basically as a first check, paying attention to the size/capability of the transformer.

Second consideration is to pay attention to voltage and current components of VA or W and look at what rectifier topology was or will be used.

The specs often include a maximum temperature rise. When abusing/repurposing a transformer the 'by-design' test circuit, which can comprise multiple windings and loads, is often no longer applicable. Common sense indicates conservative use would be a good idea if one doesn't want to replace a transformer shortly after building something. So it's not possible to come up with a simple conversion or compensation ratio in some cases.

I have a couple scenarios that I think about because I don't find (or recognize) answers for certain rectifier 'transformations'.

I may be overthinking, but often use a FWB where an application originally used FWCT, or even HW (typically for very low currents).

I think it's worth contemplating these issues simply because using something for a purpose it wasn't made for should be considered.

Here's a specific example:

A (NOS) transformer with three two-wire secondaries (no taps).

Sec. #1: 248 vrms, FW voltage doubler (two axial rectifiers + 2 x 40 uF). Used to provide B+ for a RF transmitter. 700 VDC unloaded, 600 VDC minimum at 150 mA DC. Call that 90W max. DC load

Edit: corrected ac & DC V values - typed wrong from memory.
Sec. #2: 105 vrms, HWR+ a few 10's of uF. Produces 135 VDC @ 30 mA DC (says the drawing), about 4 W DC

Sec. #3: 6.3 vrms, 5.5 a ac. 34.7 secondary VA.

Repurposing thoughts:

Use Sec. #3 as intended for tube/valve filaments. (No00 question to pose).

Sec. #2: (Question at end) First thought - I rarely want to use HWR because 120 Hz (for me, 100 Hz for some of you) from FW rectification is easier to filter, and I give barely a passing second thought to some DC flux in the transformer core resulting from HWR. If designed for HWR, that is likely taken into consideration, if it's even significant. (For toroidal power transformers, this is sometimes listed as not to be done). Sometimes EI laminations are interleaved in different patterns which affects (slightly) stacking factor and thus distributed air gap. I found a paper giving numbers for this, but one transformer engineer I talked to said it's true, but insignificant. He typically was thinking about things like gaps in SE valve OPT's, and distributed gap in a PP OPT don't amount to anything useful (cannot use for SE).

Avg. DC voltage for HWR should be lower than FWB, but I often do not see as large a difference as expected. It took me a long time to figure out an LTspice simulation of a HWR bias supply including voltage divider (R) vs. hand calculations because I had pushed HWR so far to the back of my mind, my spreadsheet didn't match my simulation. I figured it out eventually.

So, if one uses a FWB instead of HWR, elimination of some small amount of DC flux would be a tiny benefit of flux density headroom in the core. I don't think this benefits the VA or DC W 'rating'. But keeping in mind transformers are 'VA-limited', if a higher filtered DC voltage (ignoring an extra diode drop for FWR) results from FWB+filter cap, then the available DC current from that winding might be lower for the same DC W product. :O(. Is there any known benefit from using FWB in place of HWR other than easier to filter 2x ripple frequency and a trivial option of 'selecting' one of two DC voltage options by choosing the alternative rectifier?

Sec.#1: Main question here is what to consider what happens from using a winding specified for a voltage doubler, instead with a FWB. SOME increase in DC load current should result, but probably not quite double, keeping copper losses in mind. The 248 vrms with FWB would produce about 350VDC unloaded compared to the 700 VDC NL with doubler. The copper losses (I^2R) would be higher (4x for 2x current) when hypothetically considering 300 mA DC for FWB vs. 150 mA for FWVD, and the CM/A number for the unknown wire gauge of that secondary would double. CM/A seems to be a looser parameter, discussed as being usable over a wide range depending on the design. I assume that would still be a copper losses phenomenon and not a magnetic phenomenon. I've talked myself into rationalizing that using a FWB instead of a FW voltage doubler with the potentially available current only multiplied by 2^0.5. (x2, /1.414). That winding was intended to deliver the largest proportion of secondary power by the 3 secondaries. Anyone else have personal 'rules' they apply to repurpose transformers along these lines?

I have cartons of another NOS transformer with a 154 vrms @ 0.45 A DC (FWB), and 6.3 vrms @ 14 a rms. That one I want to use with a doubler instead of FWB, and will simply halve the DC load current rating.

Thank you

Murray

Last edited:
I cannot think of a single methodology that would be definitive, especially with multi winding transformers. But I do have a suggestion that should give a strong indication and that is to measure the winding temperature.

This can be done by applying first measuring the winding resistance, apply the test load for say one hour, turn off, disconnect the load then measure the resistance again. The thermal co-efficient of copper is 0.393% per degree C. If you divide the change in resistance by the initial resistance then divide by 0.00393 you will get the temperature rise in C. Now add your expected max working ambient temperature and you have the average winding temperature for that load current

Next is the guess at the insulation class to find the max winding temperature, if not known then I suggest class A i.e. 55C. After several iterations you will have a max current for that winding.

For a multi-winding transformer I'm not so sure how well this will work. An idea might be to do one winding at a time. Then to find the current when all windings are in use, load them in proportion to the estimated maximums and iterate to the maximum.

This would take a lot of time so practicality is a concern.

I cannot think of a single methodology that would be definitive, especially with multi winding transformers. But I do have a suggestion that should give a strong indication and that is to measure the winding temperature.

This can be done by applying first measuring the winding resistance, apply the test load for say one hour, turn off, disconnect the load then measure the resistance again. The thermal co-efficient of copper is 0.393% per degree C. If you divide the change in resistance by the initial resistance then divide by 0.00393 you will get the temperature rise in C. Now add your expected max working ambient temperature and you have the average winding temperature for that load current

Next is the guess at the insulation class to find the max winding temperature, if not known then I suggest class A i.e. 55C. After several iterations you will have a max current for that winding.

For a multi-winding transformer I'm not so sure how well this will work. An idea might be to do one winding at a time. Then to find the current when all windings are in use, load them in proportion to the estimated maximums and iterate to the maximum.

This would take a lot of time so practicality is a concern.
Back in the day I briefly considered detecting the resistance change in a transformer winding (by measuring the voltage drop in use). I abandoned this approach after some bench testing, but I still think it might have worked. .

JR

Many of the transformer drawings I've seen had a set of conditions including input voltage & frequency for multiple windings for the temperature rise test.

But my own question is what factor for an 'interpreted' winding current when using a different rectifier form is conservative enough and I guess temperature rise would be part of the answer.

i would need to find some big resistors but I think in the spirit of repurposing I'll just err on the side of derating. Having more safety margin. At this point it's really about finding a use than meeting any target. If it's bigger than needed but fits the project, then it's a win.

i just realized I wrote a wrong voltage for a winding so I'll just quietly edit it.

You can estimate by measuring the change in winding resistance off load and on load. To quote my book:
"...a 20% rise in resistance indicates a 50°C increase in copper temperature. If we take room temperature (T0) to be 20°C then this would amount to a total core temperature of 20 + 50 = 70°C, which is the maximum safe limit for most ordinary transformers."

Thank you.

Had the unpleasant discovery that cloth-covered PVC transformer leads sitting in a box on a garage shelf since 2000) are a little difficult to re-tin. RMA flux + 63/37 helped but still not very nice wetting. More flux & solder-pot. I can measure the winding resistances and the ones that have resistance limits are all ok.

If I cut the leads to desired length some day, I may have to go thru the same grief.

Hindsight...wish I had put this box indoors. 1977 date code. That's was already a long time before 20 years of temperature cycled storage.

Hoarding does have its trials & tribulations, I suppose. Grrr

Latest posts

Back