devolo...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone in Europe using devolo?

How does it work?

I'm asking because I had a friend currently over in europe complain that some of his gear gets hum and buzz in it when they using devolo at the studio.

From what I can tell devolo allows for ethernet connected devices to go through the power lines in the walls... But not even sure if that is 100% correct.

I´m using these since many years in my house but not in the studio. They usually work fairly well. Sometimes we have dropouts, like once a week, but there is no obvious reasons and it´s not clear if it´s a provider problem, network problem, DLAN or whatever. I guess in any network sometimes routers get stuck or whatever. Nothing to write home about...

Edit: it´s a bit sensitive to el. engines like  food processors or vacuum cleaners

pucho812 said:
Anyone in Europe using devolo?
Devolo is just a brand of PLC. I use them since many years now, that's how I have internet on my studio PC, for I can't run a CAT5 cable.
How does it work?
Whatever data (not necessarily internet, can be TV, remote control, domotics) is used to modulate a low-power RF signal that is superimposed to the mains voltage, via a combiner (there is a separator at the receiving end). Check Wiki for details.
I'm asking because I had a friend currently over in europe complain that some of his gear gets hum and buzz in it when they using devolo at the studio. 
I would be very surprized that the PLC itself could create disturbances, since the power is very small and the frequency range (less than 500kHz) is not as intrusive as the GHz of Wifi or cell phones. Maybe one of the apparatus that receives the PLC data is creating interference.
From what I can tell devolo allows for ethernet connected devices to go through the power lines in the walls... But not even sure if that is 100% correct.
That's exactly it.
BTW, PLC is generalized all over France, used to monitor the electricity meters remotely. If there were interference, I guess someone would have heard about it.

thanks for the details... that definitely helps me out...  :)

while I do understand devolo is a brand, the behind the brand technical is what had me curious. Now I got some details and can help out...  thanks guys.

Back