DIY compatible Waves Soundgrid Server

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might be worth investigating:
https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
Edit: I'm new to the SoundGrid world. The audio interfaces I've come across all seem pretty expensive, probably because they use a FPGA for low latency.

I, for one, would love to see something like it in open source/DIY land, that supports any old VST on a build-your-own Linux box, with home grown analog I/O.

I don't think you get low (like SoundGrid's ~1ms) latency without something relatively expensive on the I/O front, though...

Last edited:
Waves have updated LV1 to show DIY Servers as "Unsupported" and you have to accept a warning message when adding one to the inventory. It will still technically work though. As of now this seems to be solely based on the CPU specs, which means as long as you have the correct CPU installed, your DIY server will show up just fine. I've had success with an i7-6700 system, which showed up as a Waves Extreme Server. Motherboard, Memory or Network Interface don't seem to play a role in this for now. From what I could gather through Archive.org this is the list of "officially" supported Desktop CPUs:

Haswell: i3-4150K*, i5-4590K*, i7-4790K
Skylake: i3 unknown**, i5 unknown**, i7-6700
Coffee Lake: i3-9100, i7-9700
Comet Lake: i3-10300, i7-10700, i9-10900k

*as far as I know there were no K skews of those CPUs, so it could be an error on Waves Website
**my guesses would be i3-6100 & i5-6500 but this needs to be tested

Attachments

• soundgrid_update.png
    soundgrid_update.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is there a way to add driver functionality for USB or fan control when loading onto a device that the kernel doesn't already have drivers for?

I successfully converted a Asus CN62 Chromebox to boot as a Soundgrid server, but the fan speed stays at a fairly low rate and the USB ports don't function so I am unable to access the terminal to attempt to solve the fan speed issues. Any ideas?

Should be easy enough to power the fan from an external supply ,
but if you dont have USB functionality you might have other problems making it work right .

Is there a way to add driver functionality for USB or fan control when loading onto a device that the kernel doesn't already have drivers for?

I successfully converted a Asus CN62 Chromebox to boot as a Soundgrid server, but the fan speed stays at a fairly low rate and the USB ports don't function so I am unable to access the terminal to attempt to solve the fan speed issues. Any ideas?
Do you have any problems with high CPU temps and throttling?

Slightly off-topic, but for those who don’t need live integration and aren’t tied to the SoundGrid ecosystem, I can recommend AudioGridder. There’s a long thread about it on the purple forum. You load your plugins on a second computer, which basically becomes like a UAD Satellite but for whatever VST/AU plugins you want. I’ve started using it on projects and it’s a lifesaver when I run out of processing power. Even better, it’s free. AudioGridder – DSP servers using general purpose computers and networks

Slightly off-topic, but for those who don’t need live integration and aren’t tied to the SoundGrid ecosystem, I can recommend AudioGridder. There’s a long thread about it on the purple forum. You load your plugins on a second computer, which basically becomes like a UAD Satellite but for whatever VST/AU plugins you want. I’ve started using it on projects and it’s a lifesaver when I run out of processing power. Even better, it’s free. AudioGridder – DSP servers using general purpose computers and networks

That's really interesting for sure, but that's a plugin that you insert into a track in your DAW. That's more for studio.
Soundgrid is diferent, it's geared towards Live Sound, and it's more useful in Live than in the Studio.

Live sound digital mixers are still very limited in terms of internal Tools/plugins/processors when compared to all the plugins we can have in the studio. The Soundgrid protocol and MultiRack allow you to extend the capabilities of Live Sound digital mixers.

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 01.18.13.png

Latest posts

Back