DIY Console power supply, which one to choose?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adjusting limiting pot was first what i did. When it tuned fully left, then it's not working at all (what seems normal) but when it turned fully right, then it's as describe. Now everythin seems to work. Probably that issue is really because of current.

Glad its working.    I have an old API and have repaired the 605 powersupplies many times over the years.  At some point I'll change over to this type of supply when I've repaired the old ones for the last time.

Way to go.

Hello All,

Interesting stuff here. I myself am looking for a new PSU to feed my two EMT MM400 mixing consoles that I just recapped and rechipped.

My question: I have the opportunity to get my hands on some cheap 15V 9A Power One Linears too; 9A would be close to max current draw for those desks.

Can I use two of those 15V / 9A Power Ones in parrallel for positive and two in parallel for negative 15V?

Can somebody describe what needs to be done to make them talk together? Resistors / diodes?

Thanks in advance,

Rogy

Hey guys,

As far I'm still getting not right voltages. For a one day it worked well but then it started to turn of one rail again. What i did is betwen power supply and console there is a 555 timer based delay on circuit. After I turn on power sypply electricity flows threw two 10ohm 50W resistors, after 5 seconds turn on relay and electricity flows directly from power supply to console, that way I'm trying to avoid this first current inrush.

For now i turned off all the consoles modules leavong jsut a thew, and power supply while not plugged gives me 18V after I plugged in Console it reads 8V is it ok with so much drop?? I thought there must be something with the console, bad transistor or capacitor ir leacking. So I measured Amps with all modules turned off and it reads 0.75 amps and power supply drops voltages to 10V, is it ok?

If power supply is what you changed it is suspect.

You can test the power supply by itself with load resistors, but they will need to be big load resistors.

JR

That will be difficult to heat sink...  a several hundred watt electrical space heater may be in the resistance ballpark and handle it's own heat sinking.

JR

After checking power supplies with load resistor I found out that each one work perfectl. Problem was that i pluged relay in that way that resistor stays in circuit only straight way is added, but resistor have to be pluged out because they of resistance added and that way drop was normal state, now everything works well.

Why not try a BLUE DOG psu ? (facebook.com.BlueDogPowerSupplies  : I bought one for my old  SOUNDTRACS  IL48 console,  it was only 300 gbp and it works a treat , no  fan /noise  and the  IL48 is BIG  !  pulling about 6 AMPS /rail ?  Cheers  JT   

Back