DIY equalizer based on Studer 169 (standard and mastering)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PSU for this should be 15V ..right ?
How much mA is required to run a stereo set ?

thanks 2Low

Datasheet

5532 says 8mA typical up to 16mA max.
5534 says 4-8mA

Each EQ has one each of the above ICs. Max current will be 24mA. Allow for least double just for safe margin of operation. That makes a convenient rounding up to 100mA per two channel EQ.

Hi,

the links on the first page were down yesterday, Audiox mentioning he had problems with hosting, I posted today without checking again... My bad. Links are ok !

Piotr

Piotr said:
the links on the first page were down yesterday, Audiox mentioning he had problems with hosting.

The old files are still there and should work fine, but I am not able to add new ones, since the Google page creator was discontinued.

Hi,

dumb question time . . . if I were to build using a DOA instead of 5534, loose the 5532, and if I were to use an output tranny to balance, for unity, I need  would to step-up 1:2. right?

Thank you guys in advance,

ANdyP

Just finished up my first of 4 of these guys.  Sounds Nice!  Smooth.  Thought I'd post the cap values I used, for what it's worth:

lows  (PIO)

220n - 28Hz
100n - 60Hz
50n - 110Hz(approx)    (2) 100n in series
34n - 175Hz(approx)    (2)  68n in series
20n - 240Hz(approx)    (2)  10n in parallel
10n - 410Hz

highs (polystyrene)

75n - 2k6(approx)
27n - 7k2
18n - 10k2
15n - 14k
6n8 - 28k

The caps I used don't fit the board per se, but I made due by running them off the back of the pcb; no wires needed for the styroflex, as the leads fit fine.  I mounted the caps for the lows on perfboard and ran short wires when needed. I plan to stuff one of the other boards with wimas and compare the two.  I'm liking the sounds coming through this, though, big time.  15dB boost sounds smooth on all frequencies.  I think I'll try and get a 4-5k frequency in the second position, shuffle everything else up one position, then stick the 28k on the unused sixth position.  Although, without the switch limited to 5 positions, the 6th position, when unterminated, SEEMS to bypass the band, which is cool.  SWEET eq, though.  Can't wait to make some music with them!  Any favorites for additional filter possibilities to stick between C and D?  That part's got me curious.  I'm psyched, its late, and I'm done.  Thanks audiox and gustav for the project/boards.  If I can take a picture worth a crap, I'll post it. 

Oh, and my front panel is a rectangle of cardboard with bamboo skewers holding it up at an angle.  fugging awesome!!  Cheers!

ben

Cool Ben, post some pics if you got em.

I'm working on this right now as well... I added the 6th position to the pcb and am adding another filter section between C and D....
Check out the 500 series version that audiox did up.... the presence filter and the top of the board is easily popped right into that position.  Couldn't be any easier.  Almost done with my layouts, can't wait to get this badboy rollin

cheers,
Dave

benlindell said:
I like mnats psu it's adjustable to +/-15 easily.

Cheers - Much cheaper than that nasty shipping from AUS. I'll grab a few off him. I havent used his PSU's before. How do you need to modify them? Change of resistor before voltage reg?

Thanks
Jake

that's the coolest part, you can stuff them with trim pots so you can dial in whatever voltages you need.

Back