DIY Guitar Pedals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeurloo

White Market Member
Who has made some great DIY guitar pedals.  I would love to maybe build a few and could use some direction on which ones are great sounding.

I had made a couple that I really like, it depends on your experience wich project to start, still if you have some experience in DIY but not in guitar pedals you should make an easy one and get used to bypass systems and such...

Depends on what sound you want wich specific, but I really like my CE2 with some mods controls are (flanger feedback, mix, speed, depth, and delay) and phase 90 which I was just about to mod a lot (like CE2 ideas where feedback, mix, speed, range and cap selection, I wanted to use 2 or 3 groups of caps in the allpass filters including original and univibe-like) Never did this because I stop playing...

Distortion just listen to originals and there are a lot of mods over something you like, a clipping diodes selector with a rotary switch is a good tool for modding and the same with caps when looking the cap value for some filter or something... Fuzz are a parallel world and also really nice, just pot to play with bias and such... I've made one with 3 controls plus level and gain, both bias but I don't remember the 3rd one.

I've made a compressor but pro audio ones works much better and a simplified version of the 1176 (something like 1178) is a really nice choice, a simple opto comp would also work nice.

Delays are more complex (to find parts) for analogs and I don't see the point for a digital for recording (just add later in the mix) For live may be but I don't like them too much.

Wah enclousure are hard to do but if you have one the rest is easy and nice to play with.

Auto wah are really nice and a LOT to play with, A friend has build one really complex and was excelent.

Anyway, a lot to play with and most of them projects that you have finished in a day or two... really nice when you have a project for some month and you want to get something working!

JS

boyc makes some good clones and they have done their research on  the different progressions on the models and popular mods.

This is a great resource. http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

I built a harmonic percolator that I really like. Original germanium transistors from smallbear.

Dylan

BYOC pedals are excellent.

I did their 5-Knob compressor and it sounds just great. Most usable pedal compressor I've had by a long way.

They usually have some really neat circuit twists from the original and that combined with the well thought out kits make them a cut above other pedal builds, imho.

Other pcbs I like are from OLC  http://www.olcircuits.com/olckits.html

Some interesting fet based circuits implementing classic tube amp front ends and such.

I've made some. Building simple pedals is soothing like knitting for men.

Ross Compressor is my all time favourite. That thing sounds awesome. Has some strange really soft distortion and the compression itself is inspiring to play. Univibes are also nice with their way too low headroom (even for a guitar!) and crud. Big muff is another classic I enjoyed building and now playing.

The one thing I found difficult with pedals is how to deal with the fact you have to open the pedal to change batteries (unless you do external power). It's a nasty mechanical puzzle with all the wires dangling and making room for the battery. And then you have to make sure when someone opens the box they won't manage to accidentally break anything. Hide wires, make them short, clean layouts, epoxy, imaginative stand-offs, all the tricks are needed for long pedal life.

Madbean makes pcb's based off most of the popular pedals
and freestompbox has allot of ideas  & debunking info , not sure if you have to pay to join diystompboxes ?
as said start simple but plan to get hooked

I thought that people start diy with stompboxes :)
Don't foget tonepad.com, generalguitargadgets.com and runoffgroove.com

I know most people start with stomp boxes.  haha  I'm a drummer so I never needed them initially.  Now I only want to build some up to have for the studio.  Would be nice to have some more options around for my productions.  I have a stash of pedals already but you know guitar players... they always want more. 

Anyway, I would love some more personal feedback on pedals you love and use all the time.  I am thinking of doing the BYOC Mouse.  Let me know what other pedals you love to use. 

Thanks

OCD distortion.    Look at freestomp for instructions.    Also if you order or have the correct beta germanium transistors,  A Tonebender or a buzz around.    They clean up real nice when you backdown the guitar volume but sound like Voodoo child (Hendrix Woodstock), when you open them up.  Thick fuzz Saturation.  Nice Touch sensitive.  Makes me play more dynamic.

Also for Synths,  I love a CE 2 roland.  Patch a big fat analog sound into front end of the pedal and then into to preamp input.  Dial in the right amount of Chorus for the sound  and lay into the track.  It kind of packages the sound so it sets in the track better.  Sometimes its just the allpass filter sound to tilt the bass in a better direction.  It also is that slightly low Fi sound that sits better as well.

I think its mentioned.  Bucket Brigade Delay is a nice sound with the feedback signal more low fi twisted with each repeat. 

My 2cents.   

Also Drummers and Bass Players make great Producer/Engineers. 
THEY GET THE FOUNDATION RIGHT IN THE MIX.  1st things 1st.

I played a little with overdrives/distortion/ fuzzes  and what I prefer are germanium transistor ones.
I really liked the  Rangemaster Treble booster (I could only use it  always on as the volumen difference between on/off was huge at the setting I liked).
I also liked the Tonebender mkII.

Klon Centaur- I made one of those and I really like it. I don´t like its distorsion very much but with gain at minimum it clears the low end adding definition, more tight and with a great natural presence.Maybe it´s just it´s buffer...
I have a friend who use to love it untill he bought a Soldano SLO. Now he uses nothing :)

I did a Wooly Mammoth clone.
Fantastic fuzz for bass guitar!
Keeps the low end very stable without ringing like most drive pedals do.
Can go from subtle to extremely brutal.
I love it so much I did reamping few times after the studio clients left without they ever knowing it. Just a pinch of it and it makes the bass sit perfectly in a rock mix.
I just love it!
And it's fairly simple so I didn't even etch the pcb. Just did it on a proto board and put it in a plastic case. Guess I didn't expect it will be used that much!

dandeurloo said:
Anybody do one of these?

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/
Wooow, mann, MOD Oil Caps ....
wowzers, imma gonna make my own poliester oil caps,
peel and stick my Wimas into some olive oil, mann, make
some healthy impregnated extra-virgin poliester oil caps

yeah!

olive-oil.jpg

I built tons of pedals but now I just use a Sansamp GT2 for rehearsal or small/crappy gigs tubescreamer as tool for tube amps and a distortion box for bass.

always for me is better a good tube amp than a distortion pedal

Back