DIY Guitar Pedals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find there's a bit of hysteria on the net about snake oil pedal designs which go in and out of fashion. I have fallen for this on a few occasions, building clones of pedals that are in vogue for that month and certain they will take my amp into the tonal nirvana I carve. After building the things I've found myself disappointed and I move onto the next circuit. The end result is a cupboard full of retired pedal clones that can't really be offloaded to others unless they have elaborate face designs and graphic texts above their knobs and switches. Guess at least the cost outlay to build them is small. Its certainly not like building a 670 comp.

Funny how most of the overdrive pedal designs out there are pretty much a TS9 or SD1 with minor amendments.

I did like echoplex boost I made. That was a winner, as was the rangemaster boost.

Definitely ALLOT of Voodoo  out there , I too am disappointed with some of my builds
but really happy I didn't spend 300.00 [ well I probably wouldn't anyway ] start to buy into the hype
by even trying the pedal , some maybe inspiring but they'll never write your music or practice for you .

there are a few common o/d types , diodes to ground , diodes in the fb loop , overloading transistors
multiple diodes combinations of the above . most of the pedals that are gooped are because they are common
Can't go wrong with a tube screamer type , and most people making pcb include the common mod options

I agree I think a lot is Voodoo.  That is why it would be nice to have a small list of great sounding pedals without having to build a bunch just to find out half are junk.  I am gonna try a few and I will let you guys know what I think.  I honestly don't mind if some are one trick pony's because I will be using them for recording and hope to have an assortment to augment the standards that most guitar players will hopefully already have.

So far I'm gonna try these.

Mad Bean "Karate Shop"
Mod Kit DIY "Tea Philter"
Tonefiend Fiendmaster Pedal Kit

I may also buy a MXR 10 band EQ and I am thinking about a tremolo pedal.  I have some on my amps but would also like a pedal.  Problem is most of the pedals I have used from players who come in is that their pedals are so noisy.  I am thinking about the Hard Wire tremolo unless you guys can recommend an cheap and quite DIY version.

Oh, I could also use a compression pedal but have no idea what to buy.  Any thoughts should I DIY or buy an MXR or something.

Thanks guys!

There's a few types of comp pedals , I'd recommend something with at least an attack control
and hopefully a blend as well , unless you want the real obvious heavy handed style .
A fuzz , maybe germanium give some instant  old school 70's sound  [ not the mis bias broken fuzztone type , ]
but the slightly overdriven into a slightly overdriven amp vibe .
the orman mosfet boost , surprizing how much more powerful the gtr can sound  when it's buffered well ,
there's a few flavors of boosts too
I don't think the " emulations  " of gtr amps with fets are as successful  , but I haven't tried many of them
good luck , remember not to overbuy parts .........

dandeurloo said:
I agree I think a lot is Voodoo.  That is why it would be nice to have a small list of great sounding pedals without having to build a bunch just to find out half are junk.  I am gonna try a few and I will let you guys know what I think.  I honestly don't mind if some are one trick pony's because I will be using them for recording and hope to have an assortment to augment the standards that most guitar players will hopefully already have.

So far I'm gonna try these.

Mad Bean "Karate Shop"
Mod Kit DIY "Tea Philter"
Tonefiend Fiendmaster Pedal Kit

I may also buy a MXR 10 band EQ and I am thinking about a tremolo pedal.  I have some on my amps but would also like a pedal.  Problem is most of the pedals I have used from players who come in is that their pedals are so noisy.  I am thinking about the Hard Wire tremolo unless you guys can recommend an cheap and quite DIY version.

Oh, I could also use a compression pedal but have no idea what to buy.  Any thoughts should I DIY or buy an MXR or something.

Thanks guys!

The best compressor pedal IMO is a Ross/Dynacomp/Keeley--they all use the same circuit and CA3080 IC. Up to you whether it's worth DIYing or grabbing a commercial one.

The current production Dyna Comp is fine, though if you DIY you can add an attack control, which is useful.

My personal shortlist of "basic and necessary studio pedals":
-Big Muff varient
-Tubescreamer varient
-Wooly Mammoth (different enough from the Big Muff, great on bass)
-some kind of germanium fuzz
-Rangemaster varient
-Boss CE-2 chorus
-Ross/dynacomp compressor
-wah of some kind
-a few varieties of delays

These can all be DIYed, and most of them really inexpensively.

Dylan

Hi Dan,

I scratchbuilt (yes I'm a reformed model railroader) Aron Nelson's Hornet fuzz ... I love love love it. https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/Hornet/Hornet.html

I also built the Slow Gear clone from BYOC, which I also like.

But, my favorite is really the simplest - Jack Orman's Mini Booster.  I've built a couple of versions on perfboard and it's great.  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/15/69-jack-of-all-mini-boosters

The Hornet and the BYOC Slow Gear are sort of niche effects (I don't use a super aggressive fuzz all the time), but the minibooster is really practical and useful in many situations.  I have put a cloned MXR MicroAmp in front of the minibooster and ... BOOSH.  Good stuff.

Sound samples are trés helpful to help you decide what suits your style.  I used to go by descriptions. I thought the Octavia was some sort of holy grail because people were paying $800 for originals - and from reading these over-the-top descriptions.  Built one.  Meh - Hendricksy fuzz. BFD.  (Great pedal yes, just not my cup of pee.)

I discovered tonepad.com in 2005 and had a resurgence of interest in pedal building. Built a few "classics" the DOD250, Phase 90, BlueBox. Then stopped pedal building and did other things.

Last year I found (holy fuck) MADBEANPEDALS (aforementioned by Greg) which sent me into pedal overdrive. (What a resource!)  The projects had less errors and were better documented than tonepad.  In 2012, I built 10 stompboxes, all from Madbean.  For your compressor needs, he has the "Afterlife" optical. Low parts count, highly regarded. (I've not tried it.)

I did build the Systek Harmonic Energizer you mentioned. Overall I wish it had greater frequency sweep range. It's also noisier than my other pedals. I might try a quieter opamp. Don't know if that will help.

Great info!  I so far modded one pedal that was killing me with a lifted trace and its smt parts.  But now have it working and also built the tea philter which is nice.  One trick thing but that ok for studio needs.  I have at least three more to do and my look for more after that.

I also ordered the hard wire tremolo pedal.  It has a number of options and my price was right.  So hopefully that will fill the tremolo needs.

I will let you know about the other builds as I finish them.  Any more recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

I guess this is now the official "DIY Guitar Pedals" thread of GroupDIY.

If you get a chance talk to Marty Mart (member here) he has many a stompbox build under his belt. 100 IIRC.

Madbean was the diy gateway drug that lead me down the rabbit hole to this awful/lovely crack-rock of a site...  I think his pcb art is the best out there, especially if you like cooking ur own.  His prices are super reasonable if you dont (also he and the sites forum members are super nice and helpful if you get into trouble)

as for modkitsdiy... the amp sounded pretty nice

dandeurloo said:
One trick thing but that ok for studio needs.
Personally I find that one-trick thingies, especially if built so they have a low self-noise are better suited for recording..

Also the less knobs they have the better.. esp. if they "sound good" out of the box.

Sorry about the hijacking, but could somebody recommend a bass fuzz (or overdrive) pedal to DIY? I looked into the wooly mammoth, but it's way to brutal for me.

Thanks.

The Craig Anderton bass fuzz sounds great and is easy to build. Much softer than the mammoth. Keeps the pillowyness of the low end intact.

kato said:
The Craig Anderton bass fuzz sounds great and is easy to build. Much softer than the mammoth. Keeps the pillowyness of the low end intact.

Does this resembles the "Llama"? I already built one of those, really good on guitar.

dandeurloo said:
I'm looking for a wooly mammoth type for DIY but can't find it.  Was yours brutal to build or brutal sounding?

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2011/02/zvex-woolly-mammoth-vero.html  ;)

For a Fliptop-like bass distortion, I have heard really good things about the Runoff Groove Ginger, but I've never built one.

i built numerous ones and also found a lot of duds especially the rehashed germanium hendrix type bullshit that made me sound like i was playing ina tin box-not like hendrix.
i have found some gems though i cant remember the exact names of the pedals but one was a schmitt trigger like one that converts everything you send into it into a square wave (square wave generator?)
another one was a filter type circuit that has a massive diode ladder network and u can overdrive the input, sounds wild.
ive just move house so all schematics are boxed but once i get sorted ill post schemos.

Latest posts

Back