DIY M50 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I neglected to mention in post #43 that the capsules of the Takstar CM-63, having the same internal construction as CM-60, can have the same omni mod. In their case, the diaphragm is not so deeply placed behind the (better-designed) grille, so the removal of it would not be as noticeable, and probably not worth the effort.

Personally, I think theses CM-63s are the best value in an SDC right now, especially if you have the means to optimize the FET biasing of your particular example(s).
https://www.amazon.com/TAKSTAR-Instrument-Microphone-Professional-Gold-Plated/dp/B0C58XZ9RS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QE1PXBAT7LP2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.IU5maeX4iqE3Gb4ElGY1QQ.aZGLmiaNlub6FiDhmL5JPNYwJ9U6Q30tmc1x6vVQM80&dib_tag=se&keywords=takstar+cm-63&qid=1723769342&sprefix=takstar+cm,aps,207&sr=8-1
Even though the CM-63 don't have the deeply recessed diaphragm of the CM-60, I just verified that the '63s also sound smoother in the top octave with their grilles removed, with less 5k dip and 10k bump.

These now sound very, very close to my (culled by The Sound Room c 2005) Okatave MK-012 cards.

@kingkorg - did you ever measure the CM-63 capsule without it's grille?

Just flatten out the slightly rolled edges of the mesh disc, and it will drop securely back in; unlike the CM-60, nothing needs to be trimmed from the edge of the disc. Of course removing these grilles makes the capsules much more fragile, so handle with care! Might be worth fashioning new mesh from something heavier/stiffer.

Attachments

• CM-63 response.png
    CM-63 response.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Even though the CM-63 don't have the deeply recessed diaphragm of the CM-60, I just verified that the '63s also sound smoother in the top octave with their grilles removed. It seems like the upper-mid dip is also gone or reduced.

@kingkorg - did you ever measure the CM-63 capsule without it's grille?

Just flatten out the slightly rolled edges of the mesh disc, and it will drop securely back in; unlike the CM-60, nothing needs to be trimmed from the edge of the disc. Of course removing these grilles makes the capsules much more fragile, so handle with care!
Never got chance to play with these. I will probably order one eventually, as soon as i get some spare time.

Here is a Takstar CM-60 capsule with grille cut off, (...)
Have you, by any chance, compared the degrilled capsules (of CM-60 and, now, CM - 63) to unmodified ones before the omni mod?
(...)I just verified that the '63s also sound smoother in the top octave with their grilles removed, with less 5k dip and 10k bump.
Just for clarification, this smoothing appears in card or omni mode? Or both?

P.

Have you, by any chance, compared the degrilled capsules (of CM-60 and, now, CM - 63) to unmodified ones before the omni mod?

Just for clarification, this smoothing appears in card or omni mode? Or both?

P.
Yes, the post about grille removal on the CM-63 is to the unmodified cardioid capsule, but the effect of the grille on the response would be the same regardless of pattern.

Since the '60 and '63 capsules are the same except for the their grille designs, they would be no different without them.

I bought a pair of '60s and three '63s. I modded the '60s' caps to be omnis without grilles, and kept two of the '63 capsules stock. Their brighter response is more usefull for distant mic'ing than with the grille removed. One of the '63s I received was unusably noisy, so that's the one whose capsule I experimented with removing the grille. That capsule will be good for closer mic'ing.

Now, on Ali cheaper than on Amazon:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005...il_item.4.57d843ceOB0TbM&gatewayAdapt=glo2pol

I paid yesterday less for CM-63 than for CM-60 year ago :)
Of course it may differ in other countries. Ali employs racial regional profiling, I suspect.

From the US, I just paid $1.25 less ($27.46 plus tax, so $29.67, with free shipping) from this AliExpress page, in their Back to School sale.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.52.2c751802xx2BFd&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I've been wondering whether some of these AliExpress vendors are selling factory seconds or counterfeit or otherwise inferior goods, but I couldn't pass that up.

(I assume that very cheap SM7Bs and such are counterfeit, but do they counterfeit really cheap Chinese branded stuff like Takstar CM-60's and CM-63s? I wonder if AliExpress might be better at policing such within-country ripoffs.)

I've been wondering whether some of these AliExpress vendors are selling factory seconds or counterfeit or otherwise inferior goods,
My thinking exactly everytime I order ;)
But all Takstars (60's and 63) so far, ordered from different vendors came in factory sealed original boxes.
Still, at these prices, potential financial loss is irrelevant. Worst case scenario one's left with a nice donor body 😉

Of course there are many counterfeits but in this case I think they get good wholesale prices. And the end prices change often. A CM-63 I bought last month went up 20%

I attempted to post a recommendation for the CM-63 over at Gearspace, and got some rather humorously dismissive remarks; I probably shoulda expected that.

I can imagine if I'd spent Schoeps/Sennheiser/Neumann money on mics, then heard how close these could sound, I probably wouldn't jump to admitting that publicly (or even to myself).

I just figured if it helped some 'shallow-pocket' lurkers over there, it was worth doing.

Attachments

• Ali.png
    Ali.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
Where does it say limit 1? I didn't notice.

This popped up today from the same virtual store as the first listing (KKMOON Directsale Store), on sale even cheaper ($25.90 with free shipping) for the next few days. (Or until they run out, maybe; it says they have 21.)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...v1HL&mp=1&sourceType=561&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
Funny.
I checked this: added to cart, went up from 1 to 4 mics - no problems, no "1 per customer".
Only thing is "limited offer" - nice pricing ends in 3 days.

Did it on my phone, BTW.

You and other guys here certainly helped me.
Though Takstars are a bit too noisy for my liking - I'm a quiet sounds' hobbyist field recordist - but I have so much fun and I learned a lot. Thanks to ALL of you.
Yeah, they're not too noisy for my purposes (spot mic'ing) but I would like to know what the source of noise is; it's hard to believe it would be the capsules.

Maybe it's my old computer; won't even let me 'add to cart'.
Do you have an adblocker or popup blocker enabled? It may be waiting for you to dismiss a popup that you can't see.

BTW one popup I keep seeing is about discount codes. I just used one and saved a couple more bucks buying a second cheap CM-63.

Here is a Takstar CM-60 capsule with grille cut off, leaving only about a 1/16" lip for retaining; filed smooth. I trimmed just enough off the edge of the mesh disc that it could be re-installed.

Shown mounted on a CM-63.

Gotta say, it's kinda sounding better than my Rode NT-45O (they have slightly less top-lift), which unlike the capsule on the Rode TF-5, is not constructed like these Takstars; it is in fact the same basic design as the Behringer B-5 capsule, except for having the honeycomb plate in front of the diaphragm that the Behringers lack. This could explain why the B-5 omni capsule sounds so much better than the cardioid; the more sophisticated backplate design of the Takstar and TF-5 capsules is important for a good-sounding cardioid; being much simpler, omnis don't require this.

The backplate change is probably one of the main things Tony Faulkner suggested for the TF-5.

Thanks yet again to @kingkorg for discovering what wonderful omnis these make.

Got a couple of 40mm hardwood APEs I can slip onto these when I need to go "M 50" with 'em.
Interesting update to this capsule mod:

Just discovered that off-the-shelf (in US) plumbing supply stainless steel mesh discs fit the grille-less CM-60/63 capsules perfectly. They are considerably stiffer/more robust and of more open mesh than what's inside the capsule (which are probably brass). Better protection.

Attachments

• DSCN1560.JPG
    DSCN1560.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back