DiY U47fet Ideas?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built many 47fets with M7,although Neumann never did that,it works very well both for vocals and instruments too. Other option is K47 original...
I'd want to build a U47 if I were to shell out for an original capsule. For the U47fet (and this being my first build), I think a Thiersch M7 would be sufficient, unless somebody else knows of any K47 capsules as good or better.

Assuming the Thiersch M7 is my default option, does anyone know of an accurate body and basket? I think that would help me match any resonant/acoustic influence on the sound; as opposed to using a cheap LDC for donor body or whatever.

What about output transformer?

Any particular PCB I should check out? I assume most will match the original circuit and I could then just follow any number of pictures and guides as to what and where to populate the board.

I would start by comparing your cheapest low-grade LDC with something along the lines of a U87 or better

That is a bit of a serious challenge, considering what is in MY "microphone locker!" :)

This is what I am considering messing with (see attached photos) as I wonder what each might do to the sound, as well as whether it provides proper shielding. I have this vague notion it would be acoustically, but not electrically, good to use a large kitchen strainer, or maybe a large tee strainer, which might allow a more transparent sound, with, perhaps, less than adequate shielding.

Or course, I really don't know ... I am just thinking aloud as I muddle along. :)

Happy trails to all. James

(Edit - forgot images early this morning ... or was it late last night...?)

straindr 6.jpgstrainer 3.jpgstrainer 4.jpgstrainer 7.jpgstrainer 8.jpgstrainer 10.jpgstrainer 12.jpgstrainer 13.jpgstrainer 15.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished the igs baby 47fet kit and it's a killer with Arienne flat 47 in it ! It's a no brainer kit (i mounted the hi Z section with teflon pins in case of noise) and the TLM 103 form factor makes it super easy to place even in tight situations. The mic is super versatile has great lows and no sibilance, and sounds as good as the U47 fet clones i made before ! I will probably build another one as soon as my banker calmed down.

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can build a faraday cage as large as you want with basic chicken wire etc..., just be sure to connect the cage to ground.
-d
Yes.... you get the picture! Thanks for playing along. I will let you know how it turns out ... if it turns out well. James :)

Latest posts

Back