Do you know any round Power connector (male) ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all your replies !

Simplest solutions are those not suitable for the usual rectangular IEC connectors, but there a couple of good ideas above.

If you identify a good YouTube video, I will watch it, because I am not sure to succeed to make a rectangular hole in a 2mm aluminium plate....

You get plenty of suggestions if you use this search term on google: "cut a rectangular hole in metal site:youtube.com"

Thank you for all your replies !

Simplest solutions are those not suitable for the usual rectangular IEC connectors, but there a couple of good ideas above.

If you identify a good YouTube video, I will watch it, because I am not sure to succeed to make a rectangular hole in a 2mm aluminium plate....
This type of punch can be used manually and will punch a rectangular hole in up to 3mm steel:
1689621474609.jpeg

These are available in various sizes you need to measure your IEC socket and see which will fit. They only require you to pre-drill a hole to fit the draw bolt. The one pictured above is Klauke

Attachments

• 1689621411427.png
    1689621411427.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Hi,

I very often build my own DIY devices, and a difficult part is to build a squared hole for the the male AC Power connector: look at the attached photo.
View attachment 111803
Because the hole is rectangular, it is not possible to drill the hole as for a circular hole.

Do you know if a circular AC power connector exists on the market ??

Thank you
[Do you know if a circular AC power connector exists on the market ??] -- The below panel-mount connector that I have previously posted uses a "circular hole", is quite small and will easily accept most all of the "standard" IEC female connectors on cables!!! Even the small rectangular power-cables can be inserted into this round panel connector!!! What more do you need???

1689628112673.png

/

[Do you know if a circular AC power connector exists on the market ??] -- The below panel-mount connector that I have previously posted uses a "circular hole", is quite small and will easily accept most all of the "standard" IEC female connectors on cables!!! Even the small rectangular power-cables can be inserted into this round panel connector!!! What more do you need???

View attachment 111900

/
There won’t be an earth connection for a standard IEC cable - only active and neutral.

There won’t be an earth connection for a standard IEC cable - only active and neutral.
If what you are saying is a "TRUE" statement, then.....what do you think the -- round -- terminal is used for???

The upper-left blade terminal is "NEUTRAL", the upper-right blade terminal is "HOT" or "LINE" and the bottom lower -- round -- terminal is "EARTH"!!! This is per the "IEC320 C14 Male Plug" spec. Or.....what am I missing here???

/

Last edited:
If what you are saying is a "TRUE" statement, then.....what do you think the -- round -- terminal is used for???

The upper-left blade terminal is "NEUTRAL", the upper-right blade terminal is "HOT" or "LINE" and the bottom lower -- round -- terminal is "EARTH"!!! This is per the "IEC320 C14 Male Plug" spec. Or.....what am I missing here???

Attachments

• 1689719780360.png
    1689719780360.png
    46 KB · Views: 1

/
If you plugged in a standard IEC power cable the earth pin would miss the connector altogether or prevent it from being plugged in

View attachment 111900

A reliable Earth Connection?

Otherwise a Figure 8 Euro connector can be fitted that can be done using two large drill holes and a file in 3 minutes.

Thor

A reliable Earth Connection?

Otherwise a Figure 8 Euro connector can be fitted that can be done using two large drill holes and a file in 3 minutes.

Thor
There is the C5/6 cloverleaf which takes drilling 3 round holes and gives a reliable earth - the earthed version of the figure 8 C7/8:
1689771697457.png

Attachments

• 1689771640255.png
    1689771640255.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 0
Personally.....I would like to know -- EXACTLY -- of "WHAT THE FVCK" >> grizzli06 << plans on using to plug into this "Panel-Mount Circular Male AC Power Connector" that they so desperately want to use!!! Knowing that would certainly answer most all of the questions that everybody has in this thread, ya think???

Grizzli06: Can you show this thread an image/photo or PDF file of what type of AC power-cord connector that you will be using to insert onto the "Panel-Mount Circular Male AC Power Connector" that you dream of using on your DIY projects? Being able to see that should bring this thread to a quick closing!!!

THANKS!!!

/

Personally.....I would like to know -- EXACTLY -- of "WHAT THE FVCK" >> grizzli06 << plans on using to plug into this "Panel-Mount Circular Male AC Power Connector" that they so desperately want to use!!! Knowing that would certainly answer most all of the questions that everybody has in this thread, ya think???

Grizzli06: Can you show this thread an image/photo or PDF file of what type of AC power-cord connector that you will be using to insert onto the "Panel-Mount Circular Male AC Power Connector" that you dream of using on your DIY projects? Being able to see that should bring this thread to a quick closing!!!

THANKS!!!

/
Grizzli06 already posted a photo in his first question - what’s originally requested seems to be to find an IEC C14 socket to fit an IEC C13 female cord end that used a round hole cutout instead of rectangular.
As that is not apparently feasible then alternatives in readily available sockets and power cords have been suggested in this thread - most standard IEC 320 formats are cheap and easily purchased online. Some suggested can use a circular drill to create the cutout.
Then there are the other suggestions of using a chassis punch for cutting rectangular holes for the IEC C14 (as the cord with the female plug IEC C13 that fits that is the most commonly used one on the planet), for continued DIY projects - they are available in the correct size with rounded corners for just this purpose. For convenience this would be the best option - spreading the cost of the punch over multiple items makes the price of a punch set less daunting. A lot of people are thrown off using punches as what’s mainly on offer is the hydraulic or large manual press type but the screw thread ones that use a hex or Allen bolt and nut can be easily worked with a Spanner and a socket set. A quick trip to an electrical wholesaler can be quite rewarding.

Last edited:
Do you know if a circular AC power connector exists on the market ??

being practical and replying directly to your simple question...

If you want a circular common IEC (3 pins) male connector, then unfortunately that doesn't exist.
I also would like those.

there's 2 easy and practical solutions:

1) learn how to cut a rectangular hole, or get a tool for that

2) get the Neutrick powercon connectors, very easy to install, then you can just do a round hole. They have the advantage over IEC as Powercon lock when inserted

both options are good and simple

Last edited:
Ive also tried the two part bolt opperated circular cutter and it tends to deform and buckle the metal around the edge of the hole with the usual thin sheet metal found on equipment enclosures .
I use them with the receiver block socket on the outside of the chassis and a sacrificial small additional piece on the inside to reinforce the cut edge.
Or you can always make a clamp block for the inside to keep the cut edge true, with the right sized hole for the inner punch element to slide through and enough surround rim width to keep the cut true, enough height to put a pair of mini clamps without fouling the punch insert back - two short strips of 80mm x 6mm sheet, bolted to a couple of aluminium blocks with countersunk bolts.

1691821326887.png

There is a communication problem here arising from incorrect nomenclature.

The connector shown above is a US Type B connector. It has nothing to do with IEC standards. It may (happen to) accept 2-pin IEC type line sockets (the Revox kind), but these will not provide an earth connection.

It is a good idea to try to keep these standards identified correctly so as not to encourage mis-matching and to prevent unnecessary risk.

Back