Recycling - giving old equipment a new life.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do people think about re using semiconductors? When it comes to silicon power transistors, and some small signal types, I prefer NOS, but have used recycled ant tested (by me) types, over some offered for sale that are quite possibly fakes.
NOS semiconductors (new old stock) that have been properly handled (static free) and stored should be as good as they were. Semiconductors do not deteriorate with age when not powered up. That said older solid state is not generally better. That industry has enjoyed massive technological improvements over the years/decades, so newer versions of even the same part number can be better.

There are some unobtanium parts that are only available from such sources. I have old designs that used single sourced parts that are now obsolete so you gotta do what you gotta do...

JR

Those Wima 'polished turd' caps as I call them are invariably leaky , any signs of degradation of the outer exoxy dip means moisture ingress and likely poor insulation resistance , Jennings era Vox used them extensively.
Mullard mustards on the other hand I have NOS and working examples of that are more than 50 years old ,still good as new , performance wise
Later plastic encapsulated types tend to be more resiliant ,
Epoxy filled plastic even better ,

Certainly good advice never to use an untested reclaimed component without first satisfying yourself its in good condition ,
even though thats what seems to have been inferred I was saying :mad:

I make no claims to know what goes on inside solid state devices over time , but tubes ,as long as their kept in favourable storage conditions dont degrade either .

Yes, leakage currents, for example, are a critical parameter for capacitors. If
By the way, does anyone know what the 98Wp"P" on the black Wima means?
I generally steer clear of old-stock/used electrolytics, probably for this reason, or from being warned against it. But i will definitely research it more.

I‘ve never come across those black Wima‘s in person, only seen them in Vox amps photos.

Rock - I would add a 220K resistor across the RCA / next to the Grid from the Reverb Tank .... Just in case you have a bad connection (plug, cable or spring), so you avoid nasty (and very LOUD) noises + PickUp Coil usually likes a Load ;)

Per

That said older solid state is not generally better. That industry has enjoyed massive technological improvements over the years/decades, so newer versions of even the same part number can be better.
Sometimes these improvements can come around to bite you! For example replacing the 2N3055 output triplets in a Quad 303. When Quad designed the amp RCA were quotinq a min Ft of 800kHz, which was good at the time. As the 2N3055 "improved" so did the Ft, and coupling in the wiring to the devices on the heatsink, with the increased gain, caused the output stage to oscillate, often destroying the transistors. When repairing Quad 303s I prefer older devices with a lower Ft.

Sometimes these improvements can come around to bite you! For example replacing the 2N3055 output triplets in a Quad 303. When Quad designed the amp RCA were quotinq a min Ft of 800kHz, which was good at the time. As the 2N3055 "improved" so did the Ft, and coupling in the wiring to the devices on the heatsink, with the increased gain, caused the output stage to oscillate, often destroying the transistors. When repairing Quad 303s I prefer older devices with a lower Ft.
or fix the design so it's stable with faster modern devices...

The 3055 is an obvious example because it is(was) a hugely popular device. I used them back in the day because they were the original BSH (brick sh__ house) hard to kill device. There have been multiple newer process technology upgrades using the same old part number to not lose sales. I have even seen power FETs using the 3055 part number, not exactly a drop in part.

JR

I recently salvaged a Dewalt right angled screwgun/drill ,

The 90 degree gearbox seems to give very low backlash and comes to a halt nice and gently when you release the trigger .

It double jobs as a handy solenoid coil winder ,

1692118814353.png

The vacation season is behind me, now I have more time for DIY again. I will finish a few projects and have found a nice case again. An old Grundig mixer, ideal for a small upcycling project.

I think I'll build a PT2399 delay in there as a desktop FX.

20230901_153136.jpg20230901_153156.jpg20230901_153147.jpg
20230901_153520.jpg

Attachments

• 20230901_153136.jpg
    20230901_153136.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
NOS semiconductors (new old stock) that have been properly handled (static free) and stored should be as good as they were. Semiconductors do not deteriorate with age when not powered up. That said older solid state is not generally better. That industry has enjoyed massive technological improvements over the years/decades, so newer versions of even the same part number can be better.

There are some unobtanium parts that are only available from such sources. I have old designs that used single sourced parts that are now obsolete so you gotta do what you gotta do...

JR
One significant exception here is the old Philips/Mullard 4 legged (E,B,shield,C) RF germaniums (AF117, AF118 etc) in the TO-7 package. Irrespective of care taken in storage or handling, these puppies die due to tin whiskers shorting them out internally. The hugely expensive Reticon SAD1024 bucket brigade devices appear to have some sort of age related internal rot degradation.

One significant exception here is the old Philips/Mullard 4 legged (E,B,shield,C) RF germaniums (AF117, AF118 etc) in the TO-7 package. Irrespective of care taken in storage or handling, these puppies die due to tin whiskers shorting them out internally. The hugely expensive Reticon SAD1024 bucket brigade devices appear to have some sort of age related internal rot degradation.
I find it hard to imagine that there could be NOS SAD1024s in the wild that have been sitting untouched all this time. Those have been really scarce for decades.

I also seem to recall some ICs with process flaws, like one brand of op amps that suffered from "purple plague" (apparently a quirk of mixed aluminum and gold interconnections).

JR

Oh wow, that Grundig box is sweet !

I would carefully drill te rivets out to remove the text panels and give it a sanding and a nice funky paintjob.
Cut some thin sheet aluminium and create new text panels.

I love these old industrial designs.

Oh wow, that Grundig box is sweet !
😍
I would carefully drill te rivets out to remove the text panels and give it a sanding and a nice funky paintjob.
Cut some thin sheet aluminium and create new text panels.
That’s the plan! I am not sure about the paintjob. Normally I would do that but in the last time I have developed a strange love for this "used" look! I like the combination of old and new in my projects at the moment.
I love to design front- and backplates for boxes like this.
I love these old industrial designs
Me too👍👍
20230902_140633.jpg20230902_140526.jpg
I still have to drill out all of this super small rivets!

Looks like you could easily mount up the guts of several stomp boxes in there .
Why not add a chorus/phase to the delay .
The mini console with the sloped panel ,ergonomically is hard to beat for hands on tweekage .

I'd probably just Dymo tap labels up for the existing front panel , to keep as much of the original style as possible .

Looks like you could easily mount up the guts of several stomp boxes in there .
Yep, you are right. I am thinking about cool combinations at the moment. My favorite is a delay into a MS20 style filter (or better the filter at first?). I can design my own circuit for this or use existent stuff. We will see.
The mini console with the sloped panel ,ergonomically is hard to beat for hands on tweekage .
+1
I'd probably just Dymo tap labels up for the existing front panel , to keep as much of the original style as possible .
I've been thinking about that, too. I will probably scan the old front panel to take elements from it, as I did with VU meters before. I like the original design and would like to take something from it for my new baby.

Last edited:
I generally never recombine wet/dry signal in the device on time domain effects , its always in parralel with the source ,
So a guitar pickup goes to the amp input dry , then a DI is used to take a split to the effects , which are reproduced over the monitors or recorded to sepperate channels .
The effects channel is already lofi enough without needing extra amp crunch added I find .
Individual needs may vary but might be something worth considering .

Latest posts

Back