Does KY make "lead lube"?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondj421

The VU meter bulbs weren't working in a Presonus Eureka that I have so I ordered new bulbs from Mouser. In theory these should be a comparable replacement but despite all of my efforts, I can't get the leads into the holes! I'm not sure if the leads are too big or if there's just a tiny bit of solder left in the hole. They look to be the same size. I did everything I could to remove any remaining solder but considering how small the holes/leads are, even a tiny bit could make this tricky. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks like it should fit but again, with it being so small, I feel like tiny differences could be a deal breaker.

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 9
Can you heat it and slide it in?  I’d worry a drill bit could Amon the turret.  You could add thin wires and then solder to the led legs. 

From the pic I can see there is still solder in the holes.
Do you know the Biro trick?
Take just the plastic tube of a Biro pen. Heat the solder with the iron and blow through the tube to chase the excess solder. Beware, it's messy!

I’ve tried solder wick and a one of the manual pumps but can’t seem to get all of the solder out. Also, I have a pretty long history of pads coming off. That’s from heating too long or too hot? What’s the best way to avoid this? I can’t believe I’ve been building DIY gear for 3-4 years and I’m just now asking this. Lol.

Ok. This is a nightmare. Is it possible to start from scratch with a breadboard or something and convert it to LED?

i ran out of rs lube for their expandable sleeving--astroglide works as a replacement

do you have a needle file with conical tip-- that could ream the pad

In this situation I usually add solder to the hole. That adds some rosin. The solder that is stuck is dry and won’t heat up. Then I take a resistor with a long lead. Heat it and put it through the hole. That will push out most of the solder. Then I cut about half the lead. Then I use a desoldering gun over the long lead. That removes the rest. You could also use a hand pump or solder braid.

shabtek said:
do you have a needle file with conical tip-- that could ream the pad
My girlfriend makes jewelry and I know she has some but I’m not sure if she has one that’s small enough. I’ll check. Good call though.

Gold said:
In this situation I usually add solder to the hole. That adds some rosin. The solder that is stuck is dry and won’t heat up. Then I take a resistor with a long lead. Heat it and put it through the hole. That will push out most of the solder. Then I cut about half the lead. Then I use a desoldering gun over the long lead. That removes the rest. You could also use a hand pump or solder braid.
Another good call. I was trying to see if I could find the traces and just tap into one of those but it’s completely opaque. With something like this, is it just the 3 bulbs in series? There’s nothing else on the PCB.

Latest posts

Back