Drip EQ1 build wrong voltage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
I have just finished building Drip EQ1 Gen 4.
All the voltages seem to be in the correct range except for the 140v test points.
They read 277v, which seems incredibly high. Double checked all the surrounding resistors and they all looked normal. Anyone have any suggestions?

I
Drip is a commercial operation, charging a premium for the diy-projects: So why not just ask them?

/Jakob
Have emailed and no reply so far. He has answered other questions in the past. Thought I'd see of anyone here had run into same problem. Cheers

That would help since we don't know all the schematics (and their variations) by heart. Are you measuring with or without tubes?
With tubes. It is very close to the original schematic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215_203109_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215_203109_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230215_203201_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215_203201_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Hi guys,
I have just finished building Drip EQ1 Gen 4.
All the voltages seem to be in the correct range except for the 140v test points.
They read 277v, which seems incredibly high. Double checked all the surrounding resistors and they all looked normal. Anyone have any suggestions?
You probably have a poor or missing 0v connection somewhere.

The 12AX7 cathodes are strange on the EQ1 with the path to ground through the 360R then the tertiary winding on the transformer (yellow-orange) and the center tap (red-violet) to a 1k resistor, to ground. Anything off through all that and the 12AX7 will not be conducting. Problem is probably around the tertiary winding.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone answering in, really appreciate it!

All the tubes are definitely lighting up including the 12ax7.

I have even run audio through it and everything seems to work... which is more puzzling to me.

Will follow dmps suggestion and check that pathway.

Will also do a check for any bad 0v connections.

I get 284v
Well, that means you're only dropping 7V across each 200k plate resistor. I = 7V / 200k = 35uA. You should be dropping 110V / 200k = 550uA. Your first 12AX7 is not drawing any current which is why all of the B+ nodes are high.

Something either is wired incorrectly or one or more components are the wrong value or damaged. Are you certain that 47k in the B+ feed to the 12AX7 isn't 470k?

Well, that means you're only dropping 7V across each 200k plate resistor. I = 7V / 200k = 35uA. You should be dropping 110V / 200k = 550uA. Your first 12AX7 is not drawing any current which is why all of the B+ nodes are high.

Something either is wired incorrectly or one or more components are the wrong value or damaged. Are you certain that 47k in the B+ feed to the 12AX7 isn't 470k?
Positive to the 47k in B+ being correct value 😔

All the transformer wires are all colour coded on the board. So it's pretty hard to mess up. That's really the only wiring on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back