DRV134 instead of JT-123-DBX

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigugly

Hey,

I just received a bunch of samples from TI including the DRV134. I used the schem in the app note to make a small board that has the same pinout as a JT-123-DBX. I am planning on using this in my 312 clone which is straight from Group DIY-Project 2 pdf with the addition of a DIP8 socket under the DOA so I can test out different opamps. (5534, OPA604, OPA627, OPA637, AD797, and Avedis 1122)

My question is if I need a coupling cap on the input to the DRV134 seeing as how each one of these amps has a different DC offset? Also would I need a resistor in series with the input? Thanks in advance.

James
Big Ugly Van Audio

I think I know where you are going but I also think you may have quoted the wrong part ???
:?
I could be getting all this wrong but the JT-123-DBX is the Jensen output transformer.

The pin config you are talking about is for the Gain Block ??
API2520 , 990 , Melcor 1731 etc ...
YES you can make a PCB that will fit this and into that have an IC socket to accept all the usual suspects. Don't forget to try an LM833.

A good start might be to look at Joe Malone's PCB of the JLM99x project.
http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM99V.htm

???

wait a second ... I'm confused again ... :oops:
DRV134 is a balanced line driver ???
:oops: :oops: :oops:
???
err
I'm very tired after doing more than a 12 hour shift ... so I'll shut up now. Perhaps it's time for some food and bed.

Yeah Kev,

After reading my post a day later I can see how you could get confused. It even messed me up. :?

Yes, the DRV134 is a balanced line driver and I thought I could use this in place of the Jensen output transformer.

Is this possible? I've alredy got a couple of boards etched based on the app notes. No big deal if this won't work. The pcb'c were scap left over from cutting down the API main boards anyway. I just thought it would be cool to have an electronically ballanced output on this pre. Really I'm just to cheap to buy 8 Jensens for this project. (I'm putting 8 of 'em in a 2U rackmount)

The JLM99V is where I got the idea of the dip socket under the DOA. I've already updated the pdf from the Group DIY Project 2 with this. I'll send you the file if you want to put it up on the page.

James
Big Ugly Van Audio

I'm using the SSM2142 (Analog's version) in my latest compressor project for this very purpose. Now, I don't know about the API, but the JE990 can drive a 600 ohm line directly, via a coupling capacitor - making it a single-ended output. But that works ok if you're careful on grounding and that sort of stuff. You do skip the sound of the iron, but that's ok too - you'll get a different sound. I like the idea of dual-footprinting that. You can decide to change to transformer or back as you like.

:roll:

I just feel that it is back pedalling to go from a Gain Block like a 990 to an SSM2142 or DRV134 ...

I love the SSM2142 and use it in almost everything I do here at work. See my opto comp and balancing box etc ...

With one of these gain blocks I think you want a trafo ... or go straight unbalanced.

yeah, 990's are beautiful things in that they can supply JUICE to drive transformers and 'tame' their primaries. Doing it that way will avoid the whole "Weak-current-drive-IC" syndrome. Feeding it into a DRV134 -useful chips though they are- will likely destroy all the "Pump-me-full-of-Bass...I'm-not-scared" character of the 990.

Keep the 134s for balancing the output of 'lesser' unbalanced sources, I say! :thumb:

keith

Back