EAGLE software...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sender

Is there someone here that can help me? I'm trying to design a simple circuit. I have a schematic (http://www.beatbazar.com/guests/ssltech/kps-1/index.htm) that I want to replicate in EAGLE and do a PCB layout. Can anyone get me started? I'm totally lost :shock:

there's a tutorial on eagle's site, there's a bunch of basic things you need to learn. It's not overly complicated, but too much to re-type here for you.

I reproduced a schematic, layed out a board and made it all in the same day when I first got eagle, just with the tutorial info.

Come back with some more specific questions.

bryan

I can help, I've already made a board for that schematic. If you have questions I'll post answers when I can get to them.

here's an ultra quick Eagle tutorial:

Schematic Window -

1. "ADD" button to search for components.

2. Use "NET" button to make connections between components.

3. If Eagle doesn't have a component you need, you'll have to make a custom library. That is beyond the scope of the ultra quick tutorial. Maybe I'll post that later.

4. Use the "GROUP" button to select multiple objects. You can now move, delete, copy, mirror, and rotate a whole group of objects.

For expample. Press "Group" and select a few Objects. Now press the "MOVE" button. You need to hold the apple button while you click (yes I use a mac, all you XP's can figure out your own button, it's probably alt ) you now can move multiple objects.

5. The "CUT" button is actually what the rest of the world calls the "COPY" command. There is no cutting going on. If you select a group of objects with the "GROUP" button, then click the "CUT" button, then "apple + click" the object, you now have those objects in your clipboard. Just press the "PASTE" button all you want to paste these all over the place.

6. Once you have your schematic looking good press the "BOARD" button. It will say "there is no board for this schematic, do you want me to create one" tell it yes, and now you have all your components with yellow lines between them, showing you how they must be connected.

Board Window -

5. Use the "Route" button to draw the traces.

6. Use "Ripup" to undraw traces

I've never been one to use the auto router (mainly because I bought the standard version of eagle and didn't get the optional $200 auto router module) If your using the free version, you may want to arrange components where you want them and then just let the auto router do it's thing. You will probably have to fix a few traces here and there, but it's quicker than doing it all by hand. Not recommended at first.

Thats enough for the ultra quick Eagle tutorial. later I'll add making ground planes and your own custom libraries later.

Under BOARD let me add the following that stumped me:
7. to put SMD parts on the bottom of the board use the MIRROR command. (not change layer)

If I think of anything else later I'll add those.

Here's a tip that got me at first - Ground Plane.

If you name a trace in the schematic, and then re-name a polygon on the board, it will turn that polygon into a plane.

So for instance, I use the gnd symbol in my schematics. Press "add" and search for "supply". You will find ground and power supply symbols. I use the symbol called "GND". Now any trace you re-name "GND" will be connected to ground. If you draw a polygon that covers your entire board, then rename it "GND" you will have a ground plane.

You will want to use the "change" button to change isolate to .8mm or more, or you can make this setting before you draw the polygon.

Latest posts

Back