PADS layout reading needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Hi Group,

I'm in need of looking into a handful of layout- and schematic files created (by someone else) on the software "PADS" in a version around 2005.

Do anyone of you have access to PADS, and could you in such case open and -pdf the files for me?

I have already tried with a trial account by Siemens, that runs PADS now - but it turned out impossible to get my own files to load into the remote virtual-machine that the demo is running on..

help?

/Jakob E.

What ECAD systems are available to you ? Can you import PADS data into them. Altium Designer and Pulsonix come to mind. Likely others that I haven't used ?

Thanks - but unfortunately I can only get the Siemens viewer to open layout/pcb files, not at all the .sch schematics..

And I can't get the online tools to import anything at all

Last edited:
Hi Group,

I'm in need of looking into a handful of layout- and schematic files created (by someone else) on the software "PADS" in a version around 2005.

Do anyone of you have access to PADS, and could you in such case open and -pdf the files for me?

I have already tried with a trial account by Siemens, that runs PADS now - but it turned out impossible to get my own files to load into the remote virtual-machine that the demo is running on..

help?

/Jakob E.
[Do anyone of you have access to PADS, and could you in such case open and -pdf the files for me?] -- I have and use a licensed copy of the CADENCE/OrCAD "PCB Editor" Release 22.1 PCB-design program and it will import a PADS PCB and schematic file, but.........................ONLY IN THE ASCII file format!!! You need to get to that stage first before anyone else will be able to help you out. Either that, or find somebody who has the PADS PCB program themselves!!!

However, I did come across this, which may help you out:

http://www.elgris.com/content/downl...MIm6XEk-P9_wIVAcrICh0-wgs0EAAYAyAAEgKvUvD_BwE
If you are "really nice" and send the folks at this company a message on the page link up above, they will grant you a 15-day trial of their program, which will not only get you a converted PADS PCB and schematic file converted to an ASCII version, but you may be also able to convert your PADS files over to ALTIUM or CADENCE/OrCAD files, which would then allow someone like -- me -- to easily load-in your files and not only create PDF files for you, but also be able to modify/update your files as necessary!!! WOO-HOO!!!

Give it a try, OK???

Please fill out this form to download software:

E-studio is our most versatile product. It can be used for viewing schematics, generating
schematics from netlists, translating from/to leading vendor databases or from/to standard
formats like EDIF and XML. It can also be used for collaboration as it contains red-lining
functionality.

If you deal with Cadence OrCAD, ConceptHDL, Viewdraw, EDIF200, EDIF300, EDIF400,
XML, Spice, Verilog and DesignArchitect databases, you need to own this tool.

If you need any help or additional information do not hesitate to contact [email protected]
This is a licensed product, please, send to [email protected] the output of the following
DOS command on your Windows machine:

ipconfig /all

and we will send you back a 15-day evaluation license.

Many thanks for your interest in our tools.

Please Note: The E-studio Pro file size is approximately 24.0MB. Please allow enough time to successfully download the file. Thank you.

First Name
Last Name
Title
Company
Address
City
State/Province
Zip Code
Country
Phone
Fax

/

Hej Jakob
I have sendt you a PM + an SMS (and only now discovers that you posted the original question back in April - and we have met twice since, without talking about this :rolleyes: :whistle: ) ....
I have a newer version that can read that format without problems - BUT it will upgrade the files to the newer format while doing so ...!!!
I can print them all in .pdf for you or convert them to some of the other Pro PCB CAD formats (but not many), with what I have access to.

Let me know if you still need help.

Per

Perhaps this -- TRANSLATION -- program may be able to assist you!!! OR.....maybe one or more members of this forum may find this software to be useful to them!!! Check this OUT!!!

ACE 2D/3D Translator - Convert DXF, GDSII, Gerber, G-Code, SVG,
Postscript, PDF, ODB++, TIFF, BITMAP, 3D STEP, STL, & more

https://www.numericalinnovations.com/blogs/news/ace-translator-3000-includes-over-150-translators
I have personally used a couple of the programs that this company offers and I can certainly attest that their programs REALLY do the job!!!

/

Hej Jakob
I have sendt you a PM + an SMS (and only now discovers that you posted the original question back in April - and we have met twice since, without talking about this :rolleyes: :whistle: ) ....
I have a newer version that can read that format without problems - BUT it will upgrade the files to the newer format while doing so ...!!!
I can print them all in .pdf for you or convert them to some of the other Pro PCB CAD formats (but not many), with what I have access to.

Let me know if you still need help.

Per
[it will upgrade the files to the newer format while doing so] -- If you give the imported PADS file a new name when you either "SAVE" the file or create any GERBER files, then the original PADS file should remain the same, no???

[convert them to some of the other Pro PCB CAD formats] -- Can you convert to a "CADENCE/OrCAD" PCB and schematic file format? If not, could you create a set of GERBER and N/C Drill files and send them to me? If so, then I could import them into my GERBER-editing program and perform a set of "GERBER DRC" routines on them, which will reveal any fabrication or manufacturing errors within the GERBER files. I've already done this for another member of this forum and my GERBER-editing program discovered errors within his files that he wasn't even aware of existing!!! But, I went ahead and corrected all of the issues that my program had found and then sent him all-new GERBER and N/C Drill data files of which he then had 100 PCB's fabricated from and WAS HE EVER HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!!! Just sayin'.....

/

I have Altium and it can import and export most formats, PCB is easy, sometimes the SCH doesn’t have a lot of options. Feel free to send the two files to me. Let me know what format they are now as well. And then let me know what output format you need.

Hi Group,

help?

/Jakob E.
[Do anyone of you have access to PADS] -- Were you able to ever make any progress on getting your PADS PCB file imported? I offered to import your files into my CADENCE/OrCAD program back in Post #8. I have recently upgraded my CADENCE/OrCAD software to "Release 23.1" earlier this month, so I am willing to give your PADS files a shot of being imported into my software, but ya gotta send me some PADS files first!!! Just send me whatever you have, OK??? Maybe my latest CADENCE software doesn't require using the PADS "ASCII" file format. I don't know.

How's it going???

/

I met Jakob in person and got the files directly from him (a few times, since my last reply) - BUT not one of my older PADS programs will open the Schematics and the PCB Layout only opens one of the Layers - With Errors in the file :mad: - Oh and the newer version will not read the files at all ....

Per

I met Jakob in person and got the files directly from him (a few times, since my last reply) - BUT not one of my older PADS programs will open the Schematics and the PCB Layout only opens one of the Layers - With Errors in the file :mad: - Oh and the newer version will not read the files at all ....

Per
Well..........if you want to send me whatever it is that you have got now, I will give it a shot to see if your files will import into my CADENCE software. Can't hurt to try, huh???

/

Latest posts

Back