Edcor now sells EI lams?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here are the coef's for a square stack:

187 EI  (0.0690 * 10^-8) K N^2 u-ac 

where K = stacking factor (usually 0.9 for interleaved, 0.95 for butt stack)

N^2 is turns squared

and u-ac is permeability, i use 8,000 for grain M6,

leaving off the minus 8 power and the rest of the formula:

187 EI  .0690
25 EI  .0995
375 EI  .1560
50 EI    .2657
625 EI  .3326
75 EI  .3993
87 EI  .4644
100 EI  .5289
112 EI  .5957
125 EI  .6653
138 EI  .7314
150 EI  .7981
175 EI  .9283

eg: 375 EI with square stack and 1000 turns, interleaved>

(0.1560 * 10^-8) *  0.9 * 1000^2 * 8000 = 11.232 Henries

for double stack: 2 * 11.232 = 22.464

program a spreadsheet and insert values,

watch the shipping costs!

16431 takes a 2.25 inch stack, so you get 2 and 1/2 transformers, but it is a huge core,

but shipping is hiddy on that size,  add in the copper at 15 buks a pound , you get the picture,

> watch the shipping costs!

Indeed. Shipping on a small clump is *more* than the iron is worth.

Shipping New Mexico to Maine---

Iron:  $10.89 
UPS Ground $20.66

Iron:  $54.45 
UPS Ground $25.63

Iron:  $139.41 
UPS Ground $47.65

On the small lots, USPS Priority flat-rate would be cheaper, but there's no option for that.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't offer it. They pick up for free and you get free boxes...

Just ordered a transformer for 10 bucks and paid 15 for shipping. LAME

In my few dealings with Edcor, they always seemed open to suggestions, so perhaps the flat-rate USPS boxes could be added as a shipping option.....assuming that pile o' iron doesn't SPLIT OPEN the cardboard box...lol.

NOW, if someone can find me options for small-ish mu metal cans, without having to special order 100+.......

Bri

Tis been more than a few years, but Jensen did NOT want to reveal their source(s) of mu metal cans.

EDIT: Perhaps the folks who make mu-metal cans could CARE LESS about the small folks such as us...preferring to sell thousands of cans to the Big Boyz.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
NOW, if someone can find me options for small-ish mu metal cans, without having to special order 100+.......

Not 'options' (plural), but...

http://www.newark.com/oep-oxford-electrical-products/a262can/transformer-enclosure/dp/25M7635

JDB.

This has been the case for quite some time (more than a year?). Most likely reason is shortage of raw materials for their own transformers. If things ever get back to normal again maybe they will sell them again.

Cheers

Ian

Duarte Neves in Portugal, but i think they only deliver to business customers

Yes I know them and I've been in their warehouse, but they only sell big quantities, blocks of lams, when I was there for the Lam sizes I wanted the minimum would be a 20Kg. Thats too much for our needs. So they have in their website prices per KG but them the minimum KG amount is high.
The same for the Coil/enamel wire they sells, it's pretty big spools, like 15Kgs.

They only sell to Business costumers normally, but that's no problem for me.

I was able to buy from them a 5 to 10 liters (I don't remember exactly) can of transformer varnish and also some transformer tape, those were the only things they would sell by the unit.
The varnish is Dolph's AC-43, pretty good quality varnish

Last edited:
When I have need laminations for a new design I have used my friendly neighbourhood transformer manufacturer. But even for them, minimum order quantities apply. Last time, when I wanted some UI laminations and bobbins it cost me £90. This turned out to be enough to made 10 transformers which is what I needed. I don't know of anyone selling smaller quantities.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Yes, Need to find a factory that builds transformers so buy in quantities and ask them to sell me some lower quantities.

for coil wire I was able to talk to a Motor rewind shop next to me and they don’t mind selling me small quantities

Back