Edcor now sells EI lams?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here...found local xfmr. mfr. and motor rewinder who only had above a certain minimum size wire...they were happy to part with spools that had remaining nuisance quantity remaining at a great price.

I found bobbins to be a bigger hassle to find than wire. Paper tube was really a show-stopper...every mfr. I asked had a minimum dollar amount per line item.

Back to local xfmr. mfr....they quoted me 18" 'strand' of laminations and 18" paper tube lengths with no minimum. The iron was a lot less than Edcor and I had local pickup convenience.

i have several smallish Si-steel C-core sets rescued from N.O.S. vintage inverter xfmrs I almost discarded as useless. I got totally frustrated finding bobbins. I will probably go back to paper tube idea (if I'm lucky enough local supplier stocks). Or have to drop my pride and mimic other people who don't worry about what rules they are breaking and make my own bobbins from whatever I can epoxy together...

. I got totally frustrated finding bobbins. I will probably go back to paper tube idea (if I'm lucky enough local supplier stocks). Or have to drop my pride and mimic other people who don't worry about what rules they are breaking and make my own bobbins from whatever I can epoxy together...

You can easily do your own Bobbins with a 3D printer, if you don’t have one ask a friend that has one to print it, or go to a Fablab or a community 3D printer place.
The only concern is not printing with PLA filament because it has a lower heat threshold, use PETG or ABS filament those stand much more heat

you can also do bobbins with cardboard

@murrayatuptown if it helps, here is a 3d model of transformer bobbin someone already made. you can use openscad on this file in order to modify its dimensions:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2493092/filesin the past i have printed many things by downloading the .scad file from thingiverse, using openscad to modify dimensions etc, and straight to print. saves a lot of time.
i am trying to wind some output transformers with ei75 lamination. based on my calculations, i need 1140 individual pieces for 20 transformers.
ballpark figure - does anyone know how miuch that might cost?

@murrayatuptown if it helps, here is a 3d model of transformer bobbin someone already made. you can use openscad on this file in order to modify its dimensions:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2493092/filesin the past i have printed many things by downloading the .scad file from thingiverse, using openscad to modify dimensions etc, and straight to print. saves a lot of time.
i am trying to wind some output transformers with ei75 lamination. based on my calculations, i need 1140 individual pieces for 20 transformers.
ballpark figure - does anyone know how miuch that might cost?
Thank you very much.

Murray

Latest posts

Back