Effect of SDC body slots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callgrlmusic

does anyone have any good information about how body slots in SDCs affect performance? i read somewhere online about “opening up” the grille slots on SDC bodies doing something for the high end, but i have yet to build a test rig for these. i’m trying to find out if anyone has tried blocking them/different variations of the below/etc?

related question: why is there so much variation in this part of the design between manufacturers? has anyone here done a deep dive?
IMG_8694.png

Changing the slots changes the sound in many ways, and not for the better necessarily. They have to be carefully engineered as they are the part of the equation. Just opening up for the sake of doing so doesn't make a mic sound better.

On the image you posted the body with larger holes doesn't improve things with that particular capsule because it relies on it's own slots. If the capsule is well engineered, it doesn't need any additional slots, and adding them like in the image is either detrimental, or doesn'tdo anything.

Some capsules, like kk105/104 (kms105/104) are engineered to "not care" what's behind them.

Conclusion is that it depends, and it's best to buy a reputable mic from a reputable source. The mod you ask about comes from dark ages of microphone modifications where different mic "gurus" performed mods like this without having any idea about what they were doing. And as a rule, whatever they did improved the sound and justified their guru title, and the price of specific mod.

Altering back vents could in theory change (not necessarily improve) high end, but that is by altering polar pattern. Which is the wrong way to do it, as it obviously - changes the pattern. No one can tell you what you will end up with.

Latest posts

Back