Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I did not read your post. Here are the measuments for a comparison
Post in thread 'Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress' https://groupdiy.com/threads/ela-m-251-body-from-aliexpress.84513/post-1097464
I think they are the same size....

The Beesneez capsule holder can be mounted directly in the microphone. It fits. Inside it is close to the top of the basket but offers enough space.
It becomes more difficult to optimize the mic for as little noise as possible. As easy as this microphone appears to be to build, a lot of optimization was necessary to make it quieter imo. Very good Tube, higher Grid to Ground Resistorvalue,...
Thanks Herbert, I've ordered a number of alternative values for key components.

Should be a fun build.

Could you be more specific about the grid to ground resistor here, Herbert?
As long as the original circuit was adopted, the 251 are not among the lowest-noise candidates. The 30M Ohm (R4 in Poctops schematic) grid leakage resistor (original schematic says 30M or even 8M, if a AC701 or a 6072A Tube was used) is rather suboptimal for the signal-to-noise ratio, but if it is increased to a much better 100M (or even higher, say 150M, 200M or 250M ohm), the lower limit frequency falls (say below <40hz or so, depends on Capsule Capacity...)and the typical ELAM251 sound is gone away a bit... If it becomes to get to noisy for you you can also try a Siemens ECC801s or a Electro H 6072A Tube...
You need to work extrem properly when doing adjustments in this hi impendance area of the mic. Finger(fat)traces, Solderflux, contact of the parts to other parts. Very sensitive. Best regards

Last edited:
As long as the original circuit was adopted, the 251 are not among the lowest-noise candidates. The 30M Ohm (R4 in Poctops schematic) grid leakage resistor (original schematic says 30M or even 8M, if a AC701 or a 6072A Tube was used) is rather suboptimal for the signal-to-noise ratio, but if it is increased to a much better 100M (or even higher, say 150M, 200M or 250M ohm), the lower limit frequency falls (say below <40hz or so, depends on Capsule Capacity...)and the typical ELAM251 sound is gone away a bit... If it becomes to get to noisy for you you can also try a Siemens ECC801s or a Electro H 6072A Tube...
You need to work extrem properly when doing adjustments in this hi impendance area of the mic. Finger(fat)traces, Solderflux, contact of the parts to other parts. Very sensitive. Best regards
Thank you Herbert. This is on the "near future" build list. Waiting for the body, have most everything else.

I never understood the 30 M (or even 8 M!) grid leak resistor in the M251.
Flea (rightly) uses a significantly higher value in their version of the M251.
If I remember correctly, they use 100 M.ohm or even a higher value. Makes sense.
I'm anything but a microphone expert, but basically there's not really much sense from the electronic side. I suspect that one of Telefunken's basic ideas was to offer/serve with 251 "ready-to-mix" microphones for the broadcast sector. But why Telefunken used this method of cutting the bass range this way and not via the DC decoupler, over Tube cathode, or what ever.., is not entirely clear to me. Since the approx. 50pF Capacitance of the CK12 capsule with the original grid-ground resistance results as high-pass filter that reaches over 100 Hz, the tube is probably loaded with less energy. This is probably exactly what leads to this popular direct "on the face sound", like the Triode gets a different, lighter spectrum for a properly amplification, "a lighter digest" . Whether by chance or by design, this microphone remains the most interesting myth object microphones. Noisier than all other Mics out there, so direct, everything else than multifunctional "Eier legende Wollmilchsau" ("Egg laying Wooly Milk Pig"), but I think also the most desired Mic out there and only former Telefunken engineers know why and what they have done. And as my professor always said: believing does not mean knowing
Imo

I think you guys are probably right. Even the 60M in the early U47 produces a sound that, to my ears, is optimised for close vocal work. But used for ambient sources, whether in music or film, and given a degree of compression, will produce that familiar mid-heavy ‘slap’ that you hear in old movies or Beatles records.

In the days before sophisticated EQ devices microphone choice was key, and not all applications benefit from full-range pickup.

Would using this 251 body for a C12 circuit work (as far as the sound of the body with the circuit goes) or would it sound crappy?

I have a 251/E clone I have to sell because of stage lV Cancer and subsequent treatment costs. The beautiful and almost exact Ali Express body and headbasket, Micparts 251 PCB build...VERY close to the 251E, BeezNees CK12-style capsule, Ge 6072 red tip medical grade 3-mica blackplate tube, Cinemag 13114 tranny (no low frequency loss there!), Scott Hampton designed PSU with variable B+ and heater voltages, Rycote shock mount and Gotham cable...

All no more than 1 year old, used no more than 40 hours total...

I'm sorry if this may not be the right place to post, but I don't go to This site very often...

Message if anyone is interested

Thanks and blessings

Thanks and blessings from lowly Beckley WV...Merci beaucoup!!...Yes, in the past I've sung opera in 7 languages..I LOVED my role as Don Jose in Carmen...but, no, I did not sing this...I don't have a voice anymore...I write, arrange, produce and record the music, but can not sing...except for background "choir" parts... I hire out the singers depending on the genre...

Try This one for size...

A good friend of mine from Macedonia...Andrijana Janevska

Blessings to all,

Christian

Any suggestion on where I should get my 7 pin connectors? I just got the body and am realizing it does not come with one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back