Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my pair of Poctop's set up as per HerbertR's fab idea, i'll attach some finish pics when i'm done....(FAF 251 SN 001)=FAF= "Fake as F^ck"
Using 2 Tim C's caps, original beyschlage's, original tranny's, wet tant's etc, trying within reason/unreason to get it as close as possible to the real deals

Attachments

• IMG_5093.jpeg
    IMG_5093.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5094.jpeg
    IMG_5094.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5095.jpeg
    IMG_5095.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
One transplant successful one to go, still need to put a rubber ring inside the base bell, i will end up painting these for 2 reasons, 1. they are scratched around the bell where they went in further originally, and 2. the color seems a little puke yellowish imo, otherwise pretty sweet! Im open to any suggestions on colors to paint, i was thinking a cement gray or maybe that pastel green??? .....🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_5107.jpeg
    IMG_5107.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5105.jpeg
    IMG_5105.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5108.jpeg
    IMG_5108.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes we do excellent R&D for companies free of charge :)
Hi Tim or anyone of you other elitists with a real 251😂, could you at your convenience take a couple measurements of your 251 so us peasants can more accurately flatter our emulations?.....
Ok, steal the look😂 I listed A,B,C,D,E on the photo below, the weight of my mic as built is.....Heavy!(my scale is inop) I'm seriously considering taking the body to a machine shop to lathe it's weight down, its mic stand collapsing heavy!

Wish list of data points off an original, here's what i'm thinking......
1. W x H of the T cutout?
2. location of the "E" down from the bottom edge of the head basket?
3. location of the badge down from the bottom edge of the head basket?
4. weight of the entire mic?
I think we can proportionally estimate anything else that comes to mind with these measurements

thanx
Tony

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 7.37.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 7.37.39 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi Tim or anyone of you other elitists with a real 251😂, could you at your convenience take a couple measurements of your 251 so us peasants can more accurately flatter our emulations?.....
Ok, steal the look😂 I listed A,B,C,D,E on the photo below, the weight of my mic as built is.....Heavy!(my scale is inop) I'm seriously considering taking the body to a machine shop to lathe it's weight down, its mic stand collapsing heavy!

Wish list of data points off an original, here's what i'm thinking......
1. W x H of the T cutout?
2. location of the "E" down from the bottom edge of the head basket?
3. location of the badge down from the bottom edge of the head basket?
4. weight of the entire mic?
I think we can proportionally estimate anything else that comes to mind with these measurements

thanx
Tony
I'll do this as soon as possible. I am swamped right now but I will try this weekend

The measurements are as follows:

A - 22mm
B - 10mm
C - 7mm
D - 40mm
E -15mm

the height of both the long and also narrow opening is 5mm each (B - 10mm)

Attachments

• 83042-ab465f868076bbf205bf7465e53a0002.png
    83042-ab465f868076bbf205bf7465e53a0002.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New sound clip with some changes. Out went the Beesneez Capsule and in went OPR. The cathode resistor is now 2.7k(ish) with 20uf cap. Big difference to me. LOVING OPR's lovely bottom, perfect top, and balanced detailed mids. No eq or compression. Tim. :)
Old Sample
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nhvv...st-2.wav?rlkey=9vn830o2j3qgj4be3qcxeln31&dl=0
New sample
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hfrv...hode.wav?rlkey=18c7ndfjyaj5l1g9epuyvm5tc&dl=0
Yes, I think it sounds nice too!
In the old test, I hear more sibilance, it sounds thinner, a bit artificial.
In the new test I hear more dimension, a pleasant, deeper roundness, it has a credible tonal balance, a natural, attractive vibe

Yes, I think it sounds nice too!
In the old test, I hear more sibilance, it sounds thinner, a bit artificial.
In the new test I hear more dimension, a pleasant, deeper roundness, it has a credible tonal balance, a natural, attractive vibe
I think changing the bias R was huge, making it less overdriven. Thanks micolas. Nice capsule, Mark! As always, thanks HerbertR for the extra help.

Last edited:
New sound clip with some changes. Out went the Beesneez Capsule and in went OPR. The cathode resistor is now 2.7k(ish) with 20uf cap. Big difference to me. LOVING OPR's lovely bottom, perfect top, and balanced detailed mids. No eq or compression. Tim. :)
Old Sample
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nhvv...st-2.wav?rlkey=9vn830o2j3qgj4be3qcxeln31&dl=0
New sample
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hfrv...hode.wav?rlkey=18c7ndfjyaj5l1g9epuyvm5tc&dl=0
Hey Jeff,
Awesome to hear that you're enjoying the capsules! I sent the other pair you ordered this morning.
Thanks so much for the great review and samples ! Much appreciated! 🙂
Your mic is sounding awesome!

Here's a live recording by Australia artist Missy Higgins singing through my O.P.R PLAN 251 ULTRALUX which of course has my Ck12. 🙂
enjoy!

Last edited:
Back