Elma Neve rotary switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinw33

Hello everyone,

hope you are having a good time here.

Looking a at the schematic of the Neve preamp 1073, it looks like it uses a Make before brake type of switch.
Is there an alternative to the 3-Layer Elma 24 pin switch (?), like a PCB with a smaller rotary switch, would that be feasible?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

There are a few designs around that use a 3 bank 12 way PCB mounting Grayhill switch. Obviously the gain steps are fewer and/or coarser than the original.

Cheers

ian
Hello ruffrecords,

Ok, this might be a viable option too, but I don't know the exact work around yet with this switch.

Here in Germany, the biggest hurdle is finding the right part and brand, I think,
I saw the replacement Elma switches for somewhere over 100€-150€ IIRC.
But the grayhills aren't even in speciality stores, exclusively on german digi-okay and the bay(s).
But thanks, it's an option after wall.

Yeah Heritage Audio do that, standard 12-way rotary switch, fewer gain steps
Hi merlin,

Do you know, how many banks the heritage audio rotary switch has for gain? is it 3 banks or how many?

I would basically have to customize a bunch of resistor values for the alternative as gain switch and discard the rest.

It would be really cool, if someone had already done this before and published a DIY:ninja:. Is there one doing exactly this?:unsure:

I couldn't find one for the original elma yet.

But the smaller rotary switch should be a very similiar process, just customized/summed resistor values.

It should be doable, but I just haven't be able to focus on it in depth yet, been just too busy.

But it is nice to be informed, that there is a viable alternative design, that is used in gear.

There are alternative switches. I try to find the name of the company.
Or you often can find the original Elma’s on eBay for really cheap. I have 4 of those and I think I paid maybe 15,- per switch.

Do you know, how many banks the heritage audio rotary switch has for gain? is it 3 banks or how many?
I'm not sure but it kinda looks like 4 in this image?

Attachments

• 44052117_2291016674245352_7524748974213824512_n.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I have a lot of soviet-russian switches like this...
ALso, what about to use less contacts - less steps? 12 instead 24 for example...

Technology is getting to the point where you could Goo print (3d print) them, designs like the rotary switches found in the Studer 189's come to mind.
That being said, I will see what we might have laying around.

I have an old German dual filter unit here somewhere. They just used sprokets and gears to conect the individual switches together, making them ganged, lol. Cool solution. It looked like a timing chain setup in there. Just use three of these, and some gears, lol. https://www.blore-ed.com/product-page/bv22889

We are almost forced to use rotary encoder swithcing and a kajillion relays.

Those nice old switches are getting hard to find in any quantity and in a decent quality unfortunately.

Last edited:
here ya go - I can't beat this price even if I find some.

https://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWRoMisc-1.html scroll about half way down.

Rotary Switch
3P24T / 2 amp / 15º Index
swr-08-064-00-05.jpg

Enlarge Image
(SWR) 08-064-00-05
Rotary switch. 3P24T, 3 wafers. 1P24T per wafer. 15º index. 2 amp contacts. 2-1/4" body diameter. 2-1/8" behind panel depth. 1/4"D x 1/4"L shaft. NSN: 5930-01-025-9202.

Latest posts

Back