Good quality rotary switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I am looking for some good quality rotary switches. They will be used as a gain switch in a microphone preamp.
What I need is:

- 11 or 12 positions
- Make before break ('shorting')
- 6 mm shaft
- PCB mounted (pins, no solder lugs)

The first types that come to mind are the C&K/Lorlin switches, but I have bad experiences with these. (Not reliable on the long term.)
Elma switches are good but, the shorting types have a lead time of six months...
More or less the same goes for Grayhill.
A suggestion for a good alternative would be welcome, preferably available in Europe.

The first types that come to mind are the C&K/Lorlin switches, but I have bad experiences with these. (Not reliable on the long term.)
Elma switches are good but, the shorting types have a lead time of six months...
A suggestion for a good alternative would be welcome, preferably available in Europe.

Lorlin can feel a bit cheap, well they actually are cheap, I've also had bad experiences with them breaking of internally.

Some years ago I've also was trying to find a solution/aternative for stepped switches, tried a few different models and types.
In the end my conclusion was that Grayhill and Elma were really the best ones.
Grayhill being a bit more affordable than Elma, but pretty good quality none the less.

I am looking for some good quality rotary switches. They will be used as a gain switch in a microphone preamp.
What I need is:

- 11 or 12 positions
- 6 mm shaft

I have 2 Russian switches that I could give you for free, you just pm me your address and I send them to you.
They're 2deck x 12 positions, I think they are Shorting. Don't know the shaft size and they have solder lugs. Not the same as you're looking but they're free

Electroswitch has some nice ones imo... I've used the C7 series and like it. They probably have some pc mount stuff...not sure about other requirements...

Attachments

• electroswitch-rotary-catalog.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I have some spare Grayhill GRH71BF30-01-1-12S-F. Exactly what you are looking for. Except that the shaft is 1/4".

I also have 15mm diameter solid aluminium knobs to match. Metallic with red or black pointer line, or black with white pointer line.

PM if it is of interest.

Electroswitch has some nice ones imo... I've used the C7 series and like it. They probably have some pc mount stuff...not sure about other requirements...
Sconding this. I've used the E-switch rotary's of various series and they're quite good, and well priced.

What I need is:

- 11 or 12 positions
- 6 mm shaft

Grayhill, Electroswitch

What I need is:

- 11 or 12 positions
- 6 mm shaft

Don Audio claims to have them in stock, e.g. the 1 x 12 shorting model

https://www.don-audio.com/Elma-Drehschalter-Typ-01-PCB-Pins-1-Wafer-1-x-12-Kurzschliessend-endlos_1
or
https://tinyurl.com/ycktktrk
ns

Nick Salis

The below is available at mouser (150 in stock):

71BDF30-01PAJS

Not sure what the P stands for. Part alias seems to be 71BDF30-01-1-AJS and I have one of these (missing the stop pins) which I will never use.

AJ = adjustable and S = shorting.

The above have a 1/4 inch shaft though.

Don Audio claims to have them in stock, e.g. the 1 x 12 shorting model
Thanks a lot! I had checked Don Audio, but looked at the Elma 04 types.
I was aware of the smaller types they have, but I don't like the 3 mm. shafts...
But this is the ideal combination: small switch with a 6 mm. shaft!
I already ordered them.

Many thanks to all who reacted!

In the Sunset Sound Tutti Mic Pre, I chose an inexpensive ALPHA rotary switch, and it drives 4 relays that do 6 gain steps with a +-6 pot for trim. The cost of the switch was .90, the relays $1.10 each. That came to $5 VS a gray hill for $13. It will also last longer. Feels great. To do make before break, put a small cap on the relay to hold it on a bit, or do parallel/series configurations so it never is open.

I was also going to suggest that you might consider using relays. I used relays for my neve pre. I used a conventional pot into a micro adc to step through what is really a ladder attenuator that has a certain characteristic impedance (5K IIRC).

Note that there are some pretty great analog gates now. Just within the last few years there are gates that have an Ron of a few hundred mOhms and Ron flatness that is basically totally flat. If you have the luxury of designing the circuit around the gates, they create a LOT of possibilities and, if designed correctly, can be low THD and noise. At least double zero THD which is quite acceptable IMO.

I was also going to suggest that you might consider using relays. I used relays for my neve pre. I used a conventional pot into a micro adc to step through what is really a ladder attenuator that has a certain characteristic impedance (5K IIRC).

Note that there are some pretty great analog gates now. Just within the last few years there are gates that have an Ron of a few hundred mOhms and Ron flatness that is basically totally flat. If you have the luxury of designing the circuit around the gates, they create a LOT of possibilities and, if designed correctly, can be low THD and noise. At least double zero THD which is quite acceptable IMO.
I'd be interested to see your circuit for that pot/adc/ladder atten!

Good info. Have any part numbers / part family references for the analogue gates ? Cheers.

Latest posts

Back