Enclosure/frame for DIY 500-rack modules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

Most commercial 500-rack modules have a metal enclosure or at least a metal frame to support the PCB.
Because if you make your own 500-rack modules, the construction is often no more than a PCB with a front panel.
But when there are some heavy parts on the PCB (transformers etc.) this may result in a kind of 'wobbly' construction.
Are there any 500-modules frames or enclosures available for DIY creations?

Attachments

• 500-module.JPG
    500-module.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
Interphase Audio (formerly Ocean Audio / Malcolm Toft) seem to use a backplate with metal risers for the PCB.

Here is their site; maybe worth reaching out to see about sourcing the same or similar parts?

https://www.interphase.audio/oceanaudiolanding/
You can see what I'm talking about from the attached pictures coming from an SOS review of Ocean Audio, as well as the personal webpage of someone named Stephen Andrew Bright.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 3.08.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 3.08.21 PM.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 2.57.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 2.57.06 PM.png
    866.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 3.07.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 3.07.32 PM.png
    414.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 5.49.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 5.49.32 PM.png
    608.6 KB · Views: 1
I noticed that Sound Skulptor also uses ready made frames in their kits.
No idea if they are custom made, or if it is a commercial product.
Alternatively I could contact a metal workshop.

That's a pretty steep price for an L-shaped piece of steel!
I think it is a fair price. they've gone to the effort to design it, get it made and stock it.

It's a bit of niche product and to get a one off would cost you a lot more.

That price includes VAT and they will also pay business tax on the profit.

It depends how beautiful Need to be your device... For 30€ you can buy an iron Bender... The bad part Is cutting iron very precise... I m having fun with recycled aluminum 1.5mm thick for my proto, Easy to fold and also Easy to cut with an appropriate scissor
I used the table drawer for folding... Ten minutes job for a diy proto with no front panel ... The front part of L Is Just that

In case anyone else comes across this old thread, I've used steel studs from Home Depot as a "backer" for 500 modules. The studs can be cut with a snips (then sand off the sharp edges). Cut off one short side and the other short side gets bolted to the back of the faceplate and the long side gets drilled for stand-offs to support the PCB.. For about 10 bucks you can make 20 or 30 support frame. This material cuts and drills easily and stays pretty rigid.

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 3.23.38 PM.png

Latest posts

Back