Ensoniq DP/4+ REPAIR (cap leakage, corrosion)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, there we are… with the analog board. That‘s my 4th unit so far … still not tested, but cleaned.. I followed Obsolete Machine‘s tip to use Nichicon FGs here in the audiopath as I had some here.. Renewed the pots as some of them were pretty nasty covered with electrolyte and corroded.
Also renewed some of the diodes and a 4,7 pF cap that was burned. I redid all areas where elcos sat, overworked the black traces and reflowed all holes to the other side of the PCB. Also took off the Sony ICs as the legs were corroded as hell.. I had to clean them legs and get off the old solder and spilled electrolyte. Hopefully the ICs can take a lot of heat and are still working. It was a pain to get them out without harming the solderjoints. A lot of passion needed here. Finally I put them onto sockets.
This time I just used through hole caps.
The problem I already see here using the through hole versions is troubleshooting. Much harder to get to the little parts. And if you find a fault, you might take off some of the elcos again. 😬
Digital board is also finished and already working (tested in another unit).

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
yes you kink, bend the legs.

clean off the existing solder. then make one soft pillow on one pad and slide the kinked leg on. Make sure it is properly bedded.
I do it like this …

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    799 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    807.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    775.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    757.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
hi, i make mine a bit shorter than yours.. remember parasitic capacitance.
for 3.3uf i use SMD caps
Also to remove caps easily and not do damage to things like the 18khz anti alias filters use Kapton tape and a heat gun. Be careful with heat levels because the PCB on the DP4+ is fragile and too much heat will cause flex.

Hi,

im repairing a DP4+. I recapped the unit. Changed an defective Opamp. Replaced the potentiometers.

Sofar so good. But i have a problem on Channel 1.

If i play a sine Wave i get distortion. If i play a Kickdrum i get a high frequencie noise which sounds modulated like the kickdrum.

i put an sine wave generator on the outputs of 1+2 and this one sound same on both channels. So the problem area must be the Input?

I tried to measure on different Opamps. But i dont know how to measure the noise and to find the problem.
Because on my Oscilloscope i can see the Kickdrum or the Sinewave but both channels look identical.

Now i want to measure and to find the problem in the circuit but what is the best approach know?

So, there we are… with the analog board. That‘s my 4th unit so far … still not tested, but cleaned.. I followed Obsolete Machine‘s tip to use Nichicon FGs here in the audiopath as I had some here.. Renewed the pots as some of them were pretty nasty covered with electrolyte and corroded.
Also renewed some of the diodes and a 4,7 pF cap that was burned. I redid all areas where ecos sat, overworked the black traced and reflowed all holes to the other side of the PCB. Also took off the Sony ICs as the legs were corroded as hell.. I had to clean them legs and get off the old solder and spilled electrolyte. Hopefully the ICs can take a lot of heat amd still work. It was a pain to get them out without harming the solderjoints. A lot of passion needed here. Finally I put them onto sockets.
This time I just used through hole caps.
The problem I already see here using the through hole versions is troubleshooting. Much harder to get to the little parts. And if you find a fault, you might take off some of the elcos again. 😬
Digital board is also finished and already working (tested in another unit) I will post a extra reply to that.
Where did you get the Trimpotis? I searched for them but i have not found them.

If i play a sine Wave i get distortion. If i play a Kickdrum i get a high frequencie noise which sounds modulated like the kickdrum. …
Try to adjust pot1 „Dist. Adj. Ch 1“ I just use a headphone, put the input gain of the channel very low and the output on max. Then I turn the pot for Ch 1 and leave it where I hear no more distortion.

Btw. I use music on the input for that adjustment.

Last edited:
Try to adjust pot1 „Dist. Adj. Ch 1“ I just use a headphone, put the input gain of the channel very low and the output on max. Then I turn the pot for Ch 1 and leave it where I hear no more distortion.

Btw. I use music on the input for that adjustment.
I will first change the burnt trimpoti for DC Offset on channel 1. then i will try adjusting the Distortion on this channel.
Thank you.

Very little progress on my wrecked Unit A (for lack of time and priority).

Finally had time to compare DC on all op amps, AD and DA converters. Was comparing between wreck Unit A and a working Unit B.

All pins deviate between units by -2mV referenced to ground. This might be a symptom or not (some leakage somewhere). Also +/-15V rails are slightly off by those -2mV.

More importantly, though, voltages on some pins of the converters deviate substantially. Working CH 2 measures mostly the same as on my working Unit B.

So all leaked areas need checkup again for connectivity. Looking also at C238 and periphery. Thanks to Obsoletemachines for the hint above.

Fingers crossed the converters themselves are still alive.

Latest posts

Back