EP3 Echoplex possible transistor sub help needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinrob86

I have an EP3 echoplex that I've become addicted to, and basically HAVE to have to play electric guitar now.

However, I think it could be better and that it isn't performing quite up to spec.  I'm not really experienced with tape machines, so I think I need a little guidance.

Main problems: 

1) It is noisier than it should be - the noise is a hissy sound

2) It doesn't oscillate or make space noises even with the repeats turned up

I have adjusted the bias settings and never really gotten much of an improvement in either.  I'm aware of the importance of gain staging with these, and balancing the recording volume, bias settings and mix control, but I end up with the machine basically too noisy to use if the mix is above 1, unless the recording volume is too high for the erase head to erase. 

Thing's I've done - Obviously, I've de-magged, cleaned the tape path, changed tape - normal maintenance.  My first troubleshooting check was to remove the tape and run the echoplex tapeless - noise levels were nearly the same.  This to me says it is the circuit.

The original TIS98 transistors were replaced when I bought this one, and it had some other little issues.  I returned it to stock, but in the process of troubleshooting lost the replacement transistors, which were not a good match anyways.  It currently has 2n222A.

What would be a better replacement for TIS98?

I have a scope, but am still learning how to use it.  I'v only really used it for biasing before...

It works and sounds great as is, but I do think if I could lower the noise floor it would be even more useful at both subtle and extreme settings!

The TIS98 is a GP amp, 60V 500mA hfe 100-400 device.
A BC546 is a readily-available device that would substitute in this application.

Noise can be attributed to other things besides active devices.

Thanks,  I'll order some of those. 

I'm going to go through it with my scope and see if I can see anything acting up (I haven't used a scope for this before, but I would like to learn), I think it would be a good idea to at least have correct spec transistors in it first though.  The noise doesn't sound like resistor noise, but I will look into the usual suspects there.

Latest posts

Back