EQP-1S5 500 series PULTEC ---- HELP/BUILD thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring on the Stepped 2U version.  I would love to have a stepped version for personal use!

I can do cases if you don't have a source for them already and you decide to do a run of them. 

Have not tried them with other opamps than red dots so far, but this combination sounds so nice und musical  while in my just finished lovechilds the red dots are sounding harsh with a very noticeable change when i try melcors which are melting everything nicely together.will try melcors in the pultecs for sure.. ;)
your dual version is as said a real beauty,but i always hassle with stereo use ..and my left ear has a tinnitus with almost no real highs left since
a DRI concert last year..one marshall amp...5 beers..15 minutes.. :-X :'(
so a stepped version would sweet up my life.. i think with your version its quite easy to do as there is enough place but think of the challange doing all this in 500 or even better in 511x format  8) :eek: ;D
greets !
axel

mitsos said:
As promised, here is a picture of the 2U pultec. The PCBs are set up for switches for stepped boost/cut, but this particular one has pots.

would you also sell it mono? single stepped channel?

Mike

atticmike said:
mitsos said:
As promised, here is a picture of the 2U pultec. The PCBs are set up for switches for stepped boost/cut, but this particular one has pots.

Mike
Truth is, I have no idea if this will see the light of day.  But, if it does, there's no reason not to be able to do mono, each channel is on separate pcbs.

Back on topic though (derailed my own thread  ;D ) Here is an update for the EQP-1S5:

FULL METAL JACKET!

e7dmh2.jpg

11kxixv.jpg

2nkpaie.jpg

mitsos said:
atticmike said:
mitsos said:

Mike
Truth is, I have no idea if this will see the light of day.  But, if it does, there's no reason not to be able to do mono, each channel is on separate pcbs.

Back on topic though (derailed my own thread  ;D ) Here is an update for the EQP-1S5:

FULL METAL JACKET!

e7dmh2.jpg

11kxixv.jpg

2nkpaie.jpg

ah shit man, that'd be so cool :D

please do it.

Hi,

have received a strange pm saying I have a new message in the wm thread for this build.After opening it says that this thread is either missing or I'm not allowed to view it.
Checked back in the wm and yes,seems to be gone.
Am I missing something here?

Best regards,

Udo :eek:

Edit:White market thread came back a few minutes ago,all good!

Updated second post with further documentation, specifically how to test the I/O amplifier PCB without the filter attached. 

Happy 2013 to all!

Have done it finally.
After a long time of waiting I was offered to get 2 of the 3 "leftover"( ;D) kits,some guys here might remember it.

Now what can I say?

Build:Super easy and fast when all is prepared to solder.Since I had the time I did a little sorting sheet which was helpfull,I´ll post a pdf in my next post.Line-up of the headers is a bit off,but really no problem at all,just bend it a bit and you´re there.The assembly manual is clear and well-thought,congrats to you Niels and Dimitri!

Sound:Unbelievable,bombastic,lovely,georgeous,fantastic,sweet,highly infective...I can´t find the words (excuse me,I´m german).Although I´m a bit older than most of the guys here the eqs made me feel like a young boy getting his first bicycle!
I used gar2520s btw.

Credits:........go to Dimitri and Niels of course.You did an awesome job on this,you have my deepest respect-seriously!You both made me very happy and I can´t get my fingers off of the eqs,"pimping" some old recordings gives me the greatest results.I´m looking forward to get them to the studio now.

Best regards from munich,germany,

Udo.

(Here´s the mandatory pic:)

Attachments

• Pultec Tests.jpg
    Pultec Tests.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 150
....and here is the promised sorting sheet,I can confirm that it works correct since I built my units directly from it.
(The blue values are the real ones while the black values are what is printed on the caps):

Attachments

• Sorting Sheets.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi Udo, congrats on the builds!  Nice to see another pair done and in use!  (nice rack btw, esp the dual PSU, wow!)

Thank you for the comments, really is very good to hear! 

btw, if you think that was easy, you won't believe new revision.  The PEM nuts (pressed in nuts) on the new metalwork make installation of the PCBs much easier, as will the new iron with molex headers.  Most other things are the same with some little PCB modifications for ease of testing, etc. 

Thanks again to UDO and everyone else who has built and is using their EQP-1S5!

cheers!

Yes,my "little" psu is my pride,hahaha......I mustn't care running out of current for ages,good to have it.The pic is just from a testing procedure,modules aren't in their final position at the moment.
A new easier revision,wow (although I thought it can't be easier).Any estimated availability time for it?

Cheers,

Udo.

P.S.: If you want you can take the pdf to your infos on the first page.It works.

I recently did an EQ shootout with some friends. In the Pultec/Passive EQ league we had an EQP-1S5 500 (with 2520 from Fabios groupbuy), my tube PEQ made from Jakobs boards, a Lindell PEQ (forgot the real name) and a Summit EQF100.
To make it short, the EQP-1S5 500 blew the Lindell version away - singlehanded, with no effort, in every aspect. There was a difference to both tube Pultecs versions which had a less direct lowend (in a pleasing way) - lets call it more relaxed - while the EQP-1S5 500 came with more solid, clean and punchy lowend. The Lindell had nothing of all that compared to the other three versions. So my conclusion is that the EQP-1S5 500 is a winner if you want the Pultec thing with a rocksolid in-the-face lowend.
Thumbs up for this project, it´s a fantastic sounding EQ. I need a second one as soon as money and missus allows  ;D
cheers +  thanks to Dimitri and Niels
Jens

edit: bad english

Hey guys,

2013 has been VERY busy... I've been offline a lot lately, but I want to thank to Jensenmann for posting the results of his shootout, and to Dan for spreading the word!  If all goes well, the new batch should be available middle of next week! 

Also, I want to share with you another little unit we've been working on, one-of-a-kind so far, I'll post a feeler thread to see if we take it further.

24pdrhf.jpg

Hi guys,

New units have started shipping out, so I posted the new build document with the details specific to this version, Full Metal Jacket.

Here is the link again, it's too large to attach here (2MB) so it's in my dropbox public folder:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16176593/AnalogAllstarsEQP1S5build_instructions.pdf

If anyone has questions/comments about the build, please post here and Niels or I will try to help out.

Thanks!

Hello Dimitri,

Hope you're fine.
First question:Will the faceplate match the "old" one?
Second:Any news on the meq (I'm really curious now)?

Best from germany,

Udo ;)

Latest posts

Back